Cherry Shrimp, Crs, Ramshorn Snails And Egg Laying Fish

Hippoherder

I am going to be going with a rainbow fish tank soon and I wasn't sure if my shrimp are compatible with egg layers- meaning, will they eat the eggs. I have read 2 different opinions. One says they have been witnesses cleaning the eggs. Others just speculate that the eggs are fair game. Does anyone have any experience with this? The same question applies to the snails. Anyone have any experience with this? I need to know if I should find a new home for all these guys. If I do, what the heck do I use for a cleanup crew?

Thanks

I had Dwarf Neon rainbows spawn and hatch in a tank that has 20 or so Ammano shirmp, so I imagine smaller shirmp should be fine. Apple snails tend to stay with hard surfaces, and rainbows spawn in fine-leaved plants. I doubt the apples will get the eggs.

• 4 months later...

i also have the same question as the original poster id like to have RCS and WCWM in the same tank. My internet research has shown that the two will get along fine. What about breeding? I figure the RCS will reproduce and some shrimplets might get eaten... but probably not if the WCMM are well fed? How about the WCMM eggs? are they fair game to the RCS? i imagine they would be... anyone with experience with this?

WCMM? The shrimp are totally fine with the eggs. I even ended up putting some in my breeder net with rainbow eggs. They might clean them but won't touch a viable egg to eat it. Ramshors will also not touch the eggs as I also had them in the net and running crazy in the tank where rainbows would hatchout all the time. Now in another tank, the introduction of apple snails and BN plecos to the tank led to almost total onsumption of the eggs. I cannot say for certain if it was the apples, the plecos or both that were chowing down on the eggs.

You are fine with the shrimp though.

i also have the same question as the original poster id like to have RCS and WCWM in the same tank. My internet research has shown that the two will get along fine. What about breeding? I figure the RCS will reproduce and some shrimplets might get eaten... but probably not if the WCMM are well fed? How about the WCMM eggs? are they fair game to the RCS? i imagine they would be... anyone with experience with this?

Ok. If you have a well planted tank your shrimp population should steadily increase. An adult shrimp might occassionally get harrassed but they won't be any worse for wear. A baby shrimp might...might get eaten but in a well planted tank you probably won't see them until they are out of the snack size phase.

thanks for the quick reply wcmm = white cloud mountain minnows

• 4 weeks later...
<br />Ok. If you have a well planted tank your shrimp population should steadily increase. An adult  shrimp might occassionally get harrassed but they won't be any worse for wear. A baby shrimp might...might get eaten but in a well planted tank you probably won't see them until they are out of the snack size phase.<br /><br />
<br />thanks for the quick reply  wcmm = white cloud mountain minnows<br />
<br />
<br /><br /><br />

2 of my rcs were berried 2 weeks ago. i dont see any shrimplets at all. they are probably being snacked on by the minnows. :(. It is not a heavily planted tank. just moss and riccia. Im gonna need to throw in some thick plants they can hide in. good thing riverfront has the 2 for 1 sale this sat.

ive seen the minnows spawning over 2 weeks ago... no fry yet. so eggs are either getting taken by RCS or fry/eggs are being taken by the minnows

:(