Bichirs

Is there any such thing as a dwarf bichir? im am just getting back into the hobby and bichirs are ... sorry girlie moment... CUTE! but the first tank I am getting is a 33... and from what i can find they get pretty big pretty fast. but i see them in LFS in average tanks. what are their growth rates? i am just happy my hub is allowing tanks in the house again LOL and i want to try something out of the box... mind you... i will have another loach colony soon enough and MAYBE take to breeding corys again... :thumbs:

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

[feed them night crawlers or dew worms whole, also hunks of real meat seem to dramatically explode there growth, my sengalus was "maxed" at 6 inches , then he got thrown in with the big boys , and his ddiet changed dramatically and he began explode in size, unfortunately shortly after i was so excited he was begining to explode he was then EATEN lol there are also draw backs to living with the big boys

quote name=Bang74' timestamp='1313189531' post='2245710]

Mine seems to have topped out at 6 - 7 "

• 4 months later...

Senegals stay pretty small and could probably be kept in there. Mine topped off at 11" which may be pushing it in a 35g but if you get one small and don't overfeed then you could probably keep it a long time. Not much of a chance with any others unless you want to get rid of them around 8-9" when get start to get more girth.

I kept a variety of poly's over the years, and agree that the senegals will remain the smallest at ~ 10" for the male, and 11" for the female. They are fairly active for polypterids, and although they have poor eyesight, are somewhat predatory. Loaches may be tempting them......

They are a great fish, extremely hardy and easy to care for.

O