Getting Rid Of Planaria

Caprichoso

Since I moved my bottom feeders out of my shrimp tank, I've noticed some very small planaria. They are bothering my shrimp! How do I get rid of them without harming my shrimp and shrimplets? I read about using fenbendazole but I'm not a medication advocate and worry about the side effects. I also heard that otocinculus eat planaria...but then, wouldn't they eat shrimplets too? I don't think I'm overfeeding my shrimp, they get fed every second day. I have found it more difficult to gravel vac though with all the baby shrimplets, so I know that's not helping with the planaria situation.

Any advice on the meds or any other tried successful methods?

Thanks in advance:)

Canadian Aquatics sells a product called No Planaria which is fish, invert and plant safe. He might be able to express post some out to you.

Thank you, I ordered some tonight. I don't see a lot of planaria but I saw one on a cherry shrimp foot and he had a hard time to shake it off...evil little worms! I vacuum the gravel and did another water change, hopefully it helped.

If you want to see if my Apsolene Spixi snails will eat planaria i can give you one or two to try? I'm in NE edmonton. PM if interested.

Thank you, that's very nice of you! I was thinking of getting some of these snails, I saw a picture and they are very pretty...but I cannot borrow yours because I would be afraid if I killed it or something! I hear the Spixi kills hydras so maybe planaria too....will have to check it out:). Where did you get yours from?

Thanks again

Plants? Dang! I tried to find more info about this, it's very conflicting. I totally believe you so I may have to rethink this as I have a lot of plants!

Thanks for the info

They would be perfect if they didn't eat plants and ate Planaria. They get rid of hydra very well but for my planted tanks I use fenbendazole.

Plants? Dang! I tried to find more info about this, it's very conflicting. I totally believe you so I may have to rethink this as I have a lot of plants!

Thanks for the info

They would be perfect if they didn't eat plants and ate Planaria. They get rid of hydra very well but for my planted tanks I use fenbendazole.

Have you used fenbendazole with shrimp? If yes, was it safe? How much do you use?

[Have you used fenbendazole with shrimp? If yes, was it safe? How much do you use?

Yup in my Painted Fire Red Cherry shrimp tank and have not noticed any shrimp deaths. Tough to say how much I used as i wasn't sure of the concentration I used. I added 0.5 mL on day one and day two, waited a couple more days and the hydra were all shriveled up. Tried it on a tank with Planaria as well but the results were not as good. I will try "No Planaria" next time.

[Have you used fenbendazole with shrimp? If yes, was it safe? How much do you use?

Yup in my Painted Fire Red Cherry shrimp tank and have not noticed any shrimp deaths. Tough to say how much I used as i wasn't sure of the concentration I used. I added 0.5 mL on day one and day two, waited a couple more days and the hydra were all shriveled up. Tried it on a tank with Planaria as well but the results were not as good. I will try "No Planaria" next time.

I'll let you know how successful I am with it!

Good luck and about the snails. I was going to give you some and you can have a few if you still want them. My snails don't eat plants. I have them in a planted tank with some delicate species and they don't eat or even nibble on the plants. My snails come from someone who imported them right from their sourse in the wild years ago so there is no cross breeding which might be why the other spixi you have do eat plants. That or they are mislabelled.

Good luck

L

Update

The "No Planaria" seems to have worked. I haven't seen a planaria since I put it in. For anyone who doesn't know, it's main ingredient is Betel Nut extract and it is completely safe. I have snails and shrimp and they are unharmed and doing awesome. Especially since they don't have to shake worms off their feet (yuck). The dosage was easy as the gentleman from Canadian Aquatics had it pre-measured for the size of our tank. All we did was dissolve it in warm water and pour it in. 3 doses in total over 3 days then did a 50% water change on the 4th day. It does cloud the water slightly but nothing else to note.

I am very happy with the result!