First Time Dwarf Cichlid Attempt

oceanpearl

Hey guys,

I am in the process of converting my 29 g into a dwarf cichlid tank. I currently have a bristlenose pleco in there that will stay. I don't really care about breeding but of course it would be super cool if it happened. I say that, but watch me buy another "fry" tank in a few weeks! lol. New clothes or fish stuff? Ummm......Fish stuff!!!

I'm thinking either rams or apistos.........I heard blue rams are kind of sensitive and although my tank is well established and healthy, I get worried about keeping up with all the water changes. However, 6 years into the hobby I am definitely read to try something new and a bit more difficult. Gotta keep learning!

Of course I would like other fish in there too.......mid level - tetras? Any suggestions for success would be fabulous!

Anyway, I am super excited and will keep everyone up to date on the progress of my new adventure!

I live in Edmonton and don't plan on doing anything special to the water other than heating it and keeping it very clean!

Thanks!!

Big ALS has some A. Cacatoide "orange " and well cacatoides are a little more hardy when it comes to water parameters as where alot of other apistogrammas don't do so well unless ya give them a more acidic and softer water . Make sure ya research ! I jumped head first and hit a few walls ! But like ya said " keep learning " now that I have an understanding of the fish I keep I love these dwarfs ! Now finding the ones ya want is the tricky part .

Blake

Dwarf cichlids are nice. There are the Apistogrammas, Aquarium Central has about 3 or 4 different species right now. Big Al's usually has about the same. Like Blake said its all about water parameters. They like a softer water but if you take your time acclimating them they can do fine in our water, they just may not breed. There are also Pelvicachromis (Kribs) There are some nice ones out there.

If you want something with lots of color and doesn't require any change in our tap water, check out these

http://albertaaquatica.com/index.php?showtopic=32871&st=0&gopid=2238126entry2238126

Well I ended up with two (hopefully one male and one female) Apistogramma Hongsloi - they were bred here so no problems with the water at all! They are with a school of 12 rummynose tetras and so far everyone is doing good! Just waiting now for the Apistos to get colorful........the pics online of these guys are totally amazing colors!! Picked them up at my new fave store Aquarium Central in E-town!