Marble Vanity Top

nanmer

We are renovating all of our bathrooms. I would like to re-purpose the old school clam shell vanity top, especially the parts that are attached to the wall. I am sure there is a technical name for them. What do I have to be aware of when using them? Is there anything that would hurt the fish? We have three bathrooms, so I will have quite a bit to work with!

Soap scum could be an issue, so give them a good cleaning with some CLR or something similar, then rinse, rinse, rinse! Marble does dissolve VERY SLOWLY, but I'm pretty sure that the stuff used for bathrooms is sealed, so it should be alright.

Have a look at GARF.ORG to see how thick your glass has to be for various depths of tanks.

The only thing I would worry about is it dissolving and hardening the water (like limestone would). I wouldn't use a solid marble, but if they're the "cultured marble" tops, then they're made from marble dust mixed with poly resin. I'd think the resin would seal everything enough that dissolving wouldn't be an issue.

If you're thinking of making a tank out of your marble, you can canibalise your cracked 33 to make viewing windows. :)