Can Anyone Identify This Problem?

Oneiroid

I picked up a group of L. Dorsigeras juvies about a month ago. One of the little guys had some kind of redness around the base of one of his pectoral fins - I only noticed this when I released the group into my tank. I thought at first that maybe it was an injury from netting/bagging, but a month later he still has it. He acts as though there is nothing wrong with him, is growing very strong, and eats well. The red around his fin does not appear to be worsening, except that it is maintaining size proportion as he grows. None of the other fish seem to have "caught" this. Yet...

I can't find any exact matches on this condition through google. But it looks like it might be a bacterial infection of some sort. I'm thinking of quarantining this guy to try an antibiotic treatment. Is this a good idea? What product should I use?

Attached are a couple pictures. This guy is really quite active, and these are the only reasonable shots I could get out of about 50 I took. Click on them to see the full-size images and that should give you an idea.

Does anyone recognize this?

Thanks!

post-387-0-95804900-1303018415_thumb.jpg

post-387-0-91711400-1303018442_thumb.jpg

i wanted to say septicemia for a moment there, but it doesn't look like there is any red streaking into the pectoral fin at all, and if it was septicemia i don't think the fish would be growing or last a month after noticing the redness.

i would quarantine, and do daily large volume water changes for a week, to see if good clean water can resolve the redness. you don't want to throw medications at a problem when you don't know exactly what the problem is.

Thanks for the replies. No there is no streaking on the fins - the red area is staying quite localized. I'll quarantine and look into an antibiotic treatment. The condition of the water he is in right now is kept really clean, so I don't think that is an issue.

I don't really have much to ad except I had something similar happen to one of my juvie yellow labs. I noticed redness around the base of one of his pectoral fins. At first I thought it was an injury but it didn't get better. It didn't get worse either so I wasn't sure if it was a disease. I put him in QT for a few months but nothing changed so I put him back. No other fish in the tank developed it. The Lab grew normally, acted normally and lived a few more years before being killed in a fight. The redness never went away but didn't get worse or better.

No idea what caused it or what it was.

Good luck with your guy

Thanks Val. That is actually what I expect will happen with this guy (except the getting killed in a fight part :rolleyes: ) but I'm going to QT and treat him just to be sure. If the red doesn't go away by the end of the treatment, he'll go back in the main tank again and it will forever be a mystery.

I'll let you know how it goes. Setting up the QT tank now.

i wanted to say septicemia for a moment there, but it doesn't look like there is any red streaking into the pectoral fin at all, and if it was septicemia i don't think the fish would be growing or last a month after noticing the redness.

i would quarantine, and do daily large volume water changes for a week, to see if good clean water can resolve the redness. you don't want to throw medications at a problem when you don't know exactly what the problem is.

I had a similar problem and the red streaking showed up later.