Need some advice-custom tank

Majestic_Aquariums

O.K. so the plan has changed slightly. I would like to get a custom tank built now, and not use the 230 gal. for it's original plan.

Dimensions- 84" X 30" X 30" 328 gal.

90 gal sump.

I want it to have 2 overflows, plumbed w/ 1 1/2"

Would like the overflows to have the durso standpipe design like that tank of Jim Barry's, lets you adjust the flow rate, and water level, plus it is quieter.

So here's the questions.

What's the best way to return the water? Can it be done inside the overflows, and then into the tank? This could be a cleaner look, but I don't know if it can be done.

Also, the pump is rated 4000 gal/hr. Is it best split into 4 -3/4" lines?

If the flow is enough, I would still like to consider the UGJ as well.

What's the best way to get some help carrying that beast into the house? Wanted to get this done in June, but it will be some time in July or possibly even August now. SORRY, BBQ DELAYED :wacko:

I don't know what kind of weight the tank will be, but I would think 600 lbs

We just brought back over 1000 lbs of black slate from B.C. for the base, (1400+ pieces) and I have to get the bottom portion built at least. But that's ALOT of stone to cut and set first!!

We aren't too sure if we will be keeping the 230 or not, but I would like to have this tank as re-sellable as possible in the future, so it will have to be starfire, the 230 isn't.

Any other ideas or suggestions would be great as well, I am trying not to over-look anything.

Thanks

Rob B)

Any other ideas or suggestions would be great as well, I am trying not to over-look anything.

Free 230 gallon tank and divorce for Darcy - just cause. :D

Other than that, I'll leave the sumpin' to the professionals....or at least people who use one. B)

Dunl

Not sure if I am completely out to lunch...

But one thing I noticed is your hose sizes...

With two 1 1/2" lines, at full flow with a 4000 GPH pump running at full capacity, that equates to a flow rate of 6' per second... that would certainly stir the pot, to say the least.

If you were to make it 4 @ 3/4", your nozzle velocity would actually increase to 12.1' per second... that would essentially turn your tank into a liquid blender, IMO.

The math says that 8 x 3/4" lines flow the same rate as 2 x 1 1/2" lines.

But then again... this is just math and the real world may say differently.

Edited by Tanker

"What's the best way to return the water? Can it be done inside the overflows, and then into the tank? This could be a cleaner look, but I don't know if it can be done."

I would at least double, if not more, the size of the downflow to accomodate the size of the return line, all things being equal.

My other concern would be to outflow being next to the inflow. Could drammatically affect tank currents. You could use a spraybar to equalize the flow throughout the tank. jmho

All good questions for sure. If the design is the same as Jim Barry's, the overflow boxes had at least 1" cut into the top. Then, the boxes fill mostly with water. The durso standpipes inside the boxes then allow the flow to drain down to the sump from there. It works along the same theory as holding your finger on the end of a straw, and pulling it out of a glass of water. As you let air back in from the top, it would relese the water.

So, then the water would return back to the sump by 2-1 1/2" drains, and then be pumped back through a 1 1/2", split down to at least 4-3/4", and hopefully into the UGJ (thinking 3/4", with 10 heads)

But if it is possible to drill two more holes into the bottom of the overflows, and then out the face into the tank, that would help.

I would guess the pump @ a head height of 6' would flow at a rate of 3200gph or so. I might need a long spraybar!

I would think that few homes would ever want to accomodate a tank of this size in the future, we would probably source out commercial locations. The tank will barely fit into the house for us, and with the stand, will be over 11'X8' high. The door is fine, 32" is standard for main entrance of a house, so there is always room for furnace and appliance replacement. But your right, being 7' long would add alot of issues for most house layouts!

O.k. maybe this would be a better idea. If I need 8-3/4" lines to keep up with the drain, maybe I could use 6, and then the UGJ (which would be running off the same pump) could take up 2? Not factoring in any head loss of the pump, that would equal 500 gph off each 3/4" line. The UGJ could be regulated for flow w/valves in-line too.

Any guesses as to if that would be better?

The tank will be viewable all sides, so I do not want too much plumbing to show. I can hide 4 lines in the stand design, but that's all.

Why don't you sit down with a tank and system builder and let his experience and knoledge as well as suggestions guide you in your project.

I have a good Tank builder in mind if you are interested. He is the guys that designed Gold Aquariums newer salt section!!!

PM me if you want more details

Sounds like a great idea. I have had customers go directly to Bow Valley (even though to my knowledge, they are supposed to be "Wholesale Only") and get advice on the construction, and buy their tank there. I could go theat route and buy wholesale, but have heard of way too many people that get promised, then wait FOREVER for their tank. Dennis gets things done @ Bow Valley, and has helped us alot along the way, seems fitting to order the tank through him.

I will send you pm. and get that name and # off you if you don't mind. Seems silly to me to spend a fortune, and base the design around my knowledge.

Thanks Rahim!!!!!!!! :lol:

Rob