Npk

Darren88

i was just looking and i have a 120 gal planted tank im running a pressurized co2 system on it 2x t5 bulbs 2x t8 bulbs and 1x LED bulb strip i also treat with flourish excel once a week and flourish iron once every 2 weeks....... is it totally necessary to use flourise nitrogen, potassium, ans phosphorus or is just a seachem money grab... also is there any other way to supplement the tank with these elements?

Adding Flourish anything on a 120 high-tech tank is WAY too expensive, IMO. You'll save a TONNE of money buying all dry ferts. That being said, NPK is necessary for healthy plant growth and keeping algae away.

It depends. I'm not really sure how much light you have. What are the wattage of each?

If you're plants look healthy with no holes, or browning, or other deficiencies I wouldn't change anything. If you do want to add macros and micros, use dry ferts instead. They are a fraction of a cost of seachem and the others. Why pay for water?

Also, if you have a CO2 system, there's no reason to add Flourish Excel (unless you're using it for spot treatments on algae.) I buy Flourish Iron and Trace, but use the dry ferts for the NPK. You can buy a dry iron + trace mix too if you want.

goto all seasons garden center just off whyte ave...ask for kno3, kh2p04, k2s04, and trace mix. The kno3 will come mixed in water..250 g in one liter will last you quite awhile. everything else will 250g dry.

the k2s04 is not really needed but i add on water change days for extra K.

Edited by ubr0ke

I added a premix KNO3 that I purchased from the south side Edmonton hydroponic store and it was suggested to add it at 5 x the dry dose.

My questions :

1./In a heavily planted 30 gallon where I routinely measure 10 ppm Nitrates; why add KNO3?

2./ When I did add the solution (1 cc) the Nitrates went to 20 ppm, doesn't that harm the fish long term.

3./ My admittedly little research suggest that 5-10 ppm No3 is plenty for plant growth, is that not correct.

4,/ Am I totally missing the point?

John

John, you probably don't have to dose KNO3 if your NO3 is really at 10ppm already - are you sure your test kit is accurate? You will likely need K, so if you have K2SO4 or KCl. If you're not dosing NO3 on a regular basis, you may want to test for it daily in a heavily planted tank... I dunno, I don't own any test kits.

• 1 month later...

I added a premix KNO3 that I purchased from the south side Edmonton hydroponic store and it was suggested to add it at 5 x the dry dose.

My questions :

1./In a heavily planted 30 gallon where I routinely measure 10 ppm Nitrates; why add KNO3?

2./ When I did add the solution (1 cc) the Nitrates went to 20 ppm, doesn't that harm the fish long term.

3./ My admittedly little research suggest that 5-10 ppm No3 is plenty for plant growth, is that not correct.

John

Price?

Hi there,

I run a heavily planted 90G, pressurized C02 tank and yes at some point it will be necessary to start dosing. I am currently using the "EI" method for dosing and you can get the ferts from here: http://www.aquariumfertilizer.com/

I ordered mine and started dosing around a month ago. It was packaged nicely and came within 5-7 business days after ordered. Lots of improvement so far in plant growth and color. Watch dosing KN03 as you may already have enough. Generally 10-20ppm is enough N03.

Pickup the CSM +B for trace from there as well. If you have any questions, let me know. No I don't work for this website, just a happy customer lol.

Regards,

Daniel

My questions :

John

Price?