Angelfish/ram Help

My neighbor has a tall 40 gallon tank with 12-15 rummynose tetras, a couple small rams(Bolivian)I think.And 2 small plecos.

She asked if she should add one angelfish, and I said I didn't know anything about them.

She filters a little under double(I think 2 aquaclear 30 filters),and regular water changes,

I diddent look at her tempature,she has a couple live plants, and I don't think she does anything special besides decloanate the water and put it in the tank.

also she read somewhere that you should only have about 1/4inches of substrate,is that true?

I use peat in my filter and my rams/tetras are really healthy and happy should I suggest this? Or will lowering the ph and hardness be bad for the angel?

I don't know a thing about angels so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

My responses are all in red to your questions.

My neighbor has a tall 40 gallon tank with 12-15 rummynose tetras, a couple small rams(Bolivian)I think.And 2 small plecos.

She asked if she should add one angelfish, and I said I didn't know anything about them.Yes, it would be okay but I would add a pair angels. It would be a nice eye catcher in the tank with the smaller tankmates.

She filters a little under double(I think 2 aquaclear 30 filters),and regular water changes,

I diddent look at her tempature,she has a couple live plants, and I don't think she does anything special besides decloanate the water and put it in the tank.Angels are fairly hardy and can take a wide range of parameters.

also she read somewhere that you should only have about 1/4inches of substrate,is that true?Depends on the set-up. A 1/4" layer of substrate is just to limit the amount of "crap" that can settle into the substrate and remain there.

I use peat in my filter and my rams/tetras are really healthy and happy should I suggest this? Or will lowering the ph and hardness be bad for the angel? Never worried about adding peat to my angel tanks as almost all angels are bred locally and will do fine in the local tap water.

Have her look up angelfish online as there is tonnes of knowledge out there. Even ask the lfs personnel before going through with the purchase.

I agree that a pair of angels would be great. And, don't worry about changing the water with peat - it isn't necessary. I just added 70 RN Tetras to my 120g that has 4 nearly full grown angels and 18 full grown Bleeding Heart Tetras, and they do fine.