3 Week Update

Raven

The fry are about 3 weeks old, almost thought their parents had cannibalized them as dad was suddenly on the same side as mom, and she was flashing him her pink belly and i couldn't see the fry anywhere. Searched for 30 mins and found all 6 of them, and they spent some try hanging in the fish net. All the while i was setting up and Jerry rigging a 10g for them. One filter i'm using basically to aerate the tank since it has no filter, there's a 3g submersible one in there that creates quite a current that they seem to enjoy. I'm not sure the Elite heater is working yet, so i used the mercury thermometer from the other tank and put it in for a reading and it was only a couple degrees off so i moved them in. I can see so many things going wrong right know that i'm accually really worried. I fed them for the night and really hope they survive till morning. I'll check the temp again in a bit, and probably pretty regularly till the paranoia wheres off. :S

Been watching the thermometer like a hawk, slowly increasing it since i noticed a on indicator light works. Really hard to tell what its at since its only options are lower and higher. Been a long time since I've ran a tank this small. It has about 7G worth of water in it, when should it be changed?

when should the water be changed? I changed water in my fry tanks at least once a day, sometimes twice a day

Are you using a thermometer? its much easier to know if your at the right temperature if your using a thermometer. You can pick them up cheap from a LFS

I have one, just really hard to tell what the heater is set at :s Must change it tomorrow then.

In my fry tanks(usually 10gals) I change the water every second day and feed them a couple times a day. The more you keep the water clean and the more you feed them, the faster they grow. Use a pipette and squirt the food(Crushed up NLS mixed with a bit of water) close to the fry. Its easier for them to find it and uses less.

I've upgraded then to finger crushed tropical flakes, the staple fry food seems too small. Where would i get a pipette?

Didn't see anything there, yet. Spent 30mins fishing one fry out the filter, still don't know how it got there. Seeing a bit of a difference in there sizes now.