How Hard Is It To Switch From Fresh To Salt?

hustler

lol i quit with the salt idea after a few weeks of research. the way i keep fish I would have rock and a nurse shark 5k later feel bad and go back to fresh where the monsters need only space :)

• 2 months later...

i just converted my 180 gallon into a sw tank, just a fowlr tank for now but the live rock waas a brutal kick in the junk but once your past swallowing your own vomit at the cost its really not that bad

maybe keep the 300 as fresh for now and start up a 90 or 2 and then switch over, i have always been like salt water is bs and its too expensive blah blah , its the same as fresh you learn it and its second nature, think about all the crazy stuff you learned during ypour 15 year stint in fresh same crap,,, just like fresh dont believe all that stuff online, find a good local who isnt going to benefit from your set up and listen, im certain im gonna f up my 180 but sometimes you gotta buck and and grab ahold of them to make sure you still have them and go donkey, i finally caved because i was running out of freshwater killers and exotics that had not passed through my home and damn it i want some nemo fish, lol

good luck in whateveer you do but if you do it think how sick that would be... im not after shark.... i want me a big mean nasty octopus haha never had a fish like that.

lol i quit with the salt idea after a few weeks of research. the way i keep fish I would have rock and a nurse shark 5k later feel bad and go back to fresh where the monsters need only space :)

check out canreef for cheaper rocks. I remember buying 60 lbs worth of live rocks for less than 100 dollars. Just gotta look and bit of luck. I had great success with my low tech saltwater. Had to trade in lots of rocks because it was covered with zoas and soft corals. You can also use tufa rocks as base rock and that worked well for me...after one year...you cannot tell which ones where tufa and original live rocks.

Js

I took a leap and started a SW tank about 9 months ago now.... all I can say is I enjoy my FW however I really really really like my SW reef tank.

Cost to start up is deffinetly not cheap however with patience gathering the equipment a little at a time and having the ability of doing a little basic plumbing its really not that bad.

Take it slow, read lots, etc.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...