Summers Coming We Hope

ty_s

So summer is coming I work out of town and not home for 2 weeks at a time. my second level apartment faces south east with zero shade. it gets sun from 5 am till 5 pm or later. I run black out blinds on my windows and window fans. But it still gets vary hot in there. I did not set up a tank till September of last year so what i would like to know is a aquarium chiller need in edmonton? huh.gif

Right now my tank is about 76f i am going to cut it back to about 74f so the water has to heat up that little bit more.

86F is when most plants and fish are SOL right?

I could do a diy fridge chiller or just buy one at a lfs for around 399-499$ or run a in room ac unit and have it cut in at about 78f. the room my tank is in is the main part of my place i would need to cool about 400 to 500 sq ft living room kitchen and hall. The bath room, store room and bed room doors can just be closed

So do I panic at all?

Do i get a chiller at lfs and save some power if so any reviews?

Should i just fork out for a in room AC and cool myself and fish even when i am not home any reviews on in room AC I do not want something sticking out my window

Edited by ty_s

You should be fine unless you think that the inside of your apartment is going to reach 30+ which i highly doubt. If anything the room temperature will keep your tank at a reasonable temperature and your heater won't run all summer.

I lived in the Lamplighter on 121 ST many years back. Many a morning we woke up to +29C before 8 AM. We spent a month or two naked.

If you temps approach the same - things could get sketchy.

Regardless of what you do, perhaps give this a read.

BeanAnimal chiller myths

"you may want to consider evaporative cooling! It is the most efficient way to cool a tank. You get over 8000 BTUs of cooling per gallon of water evaporated!"

Switch to canister filters. Put the spraybar at the bottom of the tank an point the flow up. The put a fan blowing across your tank.

You'll get a tonne of evaporation. But with canisters you don't have to worry about running a filter dry and burning it out.

You could also run a few sponge filters w/o lift tubes - you'll just get lots more evaporation.

Switch to canister filters. Put the spraybar at the bottom of the tank an point the flow up. The put a fan blowing across your tank.

You'll get a tonne of evaporation. But with canisters you don't have to worry about running a filter dry and burning it out.

You could also run a few sponge filters w/o lift tubes - you'll just get lots more evaporation.

dose that not defeat the propose of all the co2 i am pumping in?

with your eheim canisters, you aren't going to get the water surface breaking up very much if the spray bars are at the bottom of the tank, even if they are directed upwards. if having the output directed straight up makes too much surface turbulence, then just angle them slightly towards the back tank wall.

i think a fan blowing on the water surface should be sufficient, unless we get a crazy hot summer.

Edited by BettaFishMommy

with your eheim canisters, you aren't going to get the water surface breaking up very much if the spray bars are at the bottom of the tank, even if they are directed upwards. if having the output directed straight up makes too much surface turbulence, then just angle them slightly towards the back tank wall.

i think a fan blowing on the water surface should be sufficient, unless we get a crazy hot summer.

tell you what we can just hang out at my place for a day or 2 then you will help pack a ac home from the store lol if i remember right my places hit the 30's last summer it bakes in the sun all day.