Guppy Fry And Angelfish Eggs

Ghostface

Angelfish eggs with Guppy Fry  

9 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hello all,

My Angelfish are starting to clean the pot in my main tank, and will lay eggs in the next 24 hours or so, I have a 10 gallon tank with about 40-50 guppy fry in them, they are between 1-2 weeks old, still tiny. My question is, are my Angelfish eggs going to be fine in the tank with the guppy fry or will the fry munch on the eggs and ruin them? Should I remove the fry? At the moment I only have a 15 gal planted tank available, but I have a pair of german blue rams in them, so they will probably eat the guppy fry real quick.

thanks

Yea I put 5ml of methyl blue into the 10 gal. I also am using my Fluval Flora filter which provides a stream of water right towards the eggs, so they should be getting plenty of water movement. Also my sponge filter provides bubbles.

How frequent should I check for white eggs? I'm a bit paranoid atm and have been checking every 30mins.

As log as the eggs aren't white there's probably no issue. The amount of time the eggs take to hatch has a lot to do with temprature. The warmer they are the shorter time it takes them to hatch, although it won't vary too much. I keep the eggs at 84 degrees when I hatch them artifically. Don't fool around with the temperature at this point though.

Alright thanks, my temp is at 81-82 at the moment. I've read online that it takes 2-4 days before you see wigglers sometimes. Hopefully not many more eggs will be turning white until then.

I'll take some pictures and post them soon.

Okay, upon closer inspection, I see lots of wigglers...I didn't notice them looking at it from the front, but looking at the pot from the side I see them wiggling. Now, there are some white eggs on the ground, and there are at least 20-30 or so wigglers on the bottom with some white eggs...do I have to try and remove the white eggs or will the lil guys be fine? Should I suck up the lil fry and spit them back onto the pot?

There are also several fry that have been blown far from the pot by the airstone, and some close to the sponge filter...should I collect the "stray" fry and get them closer to the others?

thanks for the replys thus far Angel Al

EDIT: Oh crap, I set the airstone this afternoon to close to the heater, and I'm guessing because of the increased air flow it raised the tank temp to 86, hope this wont ruin the spawn

Edited by Ghostface

Don't worry about the white eggs & the rise in temprature rise hasn't killed them but leave it alone. If you play around with it to much you'll wish you hadn't. The fry will continue to fall off the pot. What you might consider doing is sucking them off the bottom & off the pot & putting them in submersed container in the same tank. Make sure you have an airstone with gentle aeration & anti fungal in it as well. If the fry remain in or on the gravel, bacteria on the gravel can sometimes cause an issue. Depending on how course your gravel is, they can also get stuck in between the pebbles & you'll loose them. I would either use a jar or a bowl. A plastic bowl will float, the jar won't. The bowl is probably your easiest option & will cause the least amount of disturbance in the tank at this point but that decision is yours to make. I use a clean turkey baster to move fry & you can use it to remove & add water to the container you choose as needed. Make sure any water you remove from the container is not put back in the tank but any fresh water you add should come from the tank to avoid temprature variation.