Large Cichlid With What Looks Like Swim Bladder Disorder

BettaFishMommy

hey all,

my poor Chuck (paratilapia polleni, my big beautiful baby!) is sick :( noticed just now that the dorsal area was out of the water and Chuck was staying in one place. went to shoo him gently to get him all the way underwater and he couldn't swim properly - sideways, nose down, buoyant and all. he's now floating sideways! he was fine this morning as far as i could see. sounds like swim bladder to you too, eh?

his tankmate is an oscar, who isn't bugging him at all. i can do a rubbermaid hospital tank if necessary, but if i could treat the tank he is in, with the oscar in there, that'd be much easier.

i've dealt with swim bladder in smaller fish, but have never had to deal with it in a bigger fish like Chuck.

what to do? help please!

i fed the tank this morning but i don't think he ate. i didn't see him eat, and usually he eats right away.

so if he's not eating, just do the usual fast for a couple/few days and daily water changes and pick up some metro in the morning?

Edited by BettaFishMommy

ok folks. Chuck is more upright today, but still rather buoyant in the water (dorsal area is still above water at times). i've moved him to a rubbermaid bin with some air running into it, and doing as many water changes as necessary to keep the ammonia down. water volume is 20 gallons. temperature is about 78/79F. i've set up a rectangular 2 gallon tub on it's end in there so he has something to lean against to stay upright when need be.

i'm off to petsmart here in a few minutes. metro will be the best med to use, or should i consider an epsom salt treatment instead? Chuck's symptoms are buoyancy, occasional listing to the side, and loss of colour (stressed). his activity level is really low. he is also not eating at all. gill movement is slightly increased, but he is not gasping.

picked up some API General Cure, which has metro and prazi in it. dosed Chuck's tub after a big water change.

He is doing so much better today! no longer buoyant, swimming perfectly, and his colour is coming back slowly. going to do another big water change and probably dose the meds again, then water change again tomorrow and see how he's doing to determine whether i dose a third day in a row.

so happy my Chuck seems to be on the mend! i'd be heartbroken if i lost this finkid.