One Boy...one Girl...

Wingin' It

I picked up an absolutely gorgeous red dragon plakat male on the weekend from a really cool guy on the weekend...as well as a couple tanks. So I decided on Tuesday to go ahead and set them up for breeding. When I usually breed Bettas, I usually just use an odd shaped tank and throw in a small plant, float the female until the male builds himself a nice sized nest and let them do their thing.

This time, on the advice of a couple of seasoned and very successful Betta breeders, I've decided to do it differently this time. I took one of my smallest show tanks, loaded it up with some play sand and two kinds of plants. Conditioned the water with liquid almond leaf extract and prime, poured it all in. I then placed that small show tank inside the 10 gallon and placed more conditioned water in the 10 gallon with a bunch of naja grass and java moss.

I placed the male in the 10 gallon, and found me a suitable female and put her in the small show tank. So far so good, but the male wasn't making his bubble nest...so I added some help with the half styro cup and BOOM...bubble nest. Huh...i've never had to do that before...but I guess I won't be dismissing it as per usual anymore.

Lesson learned, there's more than one way to breed a fish! LOL Anywho, here's a pic of my newly aquired Male. Ain't he pretty?! Of course I'm biased, but only a bit ;)

This is the most true to color pic...but when I look down through the side, he looks pinkish...wierd.

2011-05-26100306.jpg

Here's the pinkish color...boggles my mind...lol

2011-05-26095739.jpg

I use masking tape and attach it to the side too. Most of the fish will use this but the odd rebel then builds it in the opposite corner. Bettas!!! Can't breed them and definitely don't want to kill them. Oooh my pretties....