Peacocks

DevonCichlid

I'm fairly new to the forum but have read a lot of information that is posted on here to help me in my past tank setups/opinions.

I have a newly cycled 90G that I've decided to put some Peacocks in. I'm just looking for opinions/feedback on what everyone's favorite Peacock would be?

I've seen a lot of pictures online so I have a pretty good idea of what I'm getting into looks wise. I'm also tossing around the idea of putting 4-5 different kinds in there and would just like to hear any feedback whether its positive in regards to doing this.

Here's some pics of different varieties of Peacocks fairdeal has available

Eureka Red little guy 2 inch

IMG_4547.jpg

German Red

fish029.jpg

Lwanda little guy again about 2 inches

014-2.jpg

there's always more but I don't have pics of some.

Peakocks are great, good temperments for the most part. The only real drawback is that aulonocaras species are related, there can be interbreeding of species due to the fact that the females look so very similar. Be sure that if you plan on breeding them, place them in a species only tank so that hybrids cannot happen.

I had some of Fairdeals Peacocks before and they are top notch, my favorite is the Copadichromis 'azereus' and the Eureka reds. Both stunning, the Eureka was from Fairdeal. I have seen the |Eureka at his new owners, he has matured and he is even better than when I had him

182-1.jpg

201.jpg

Edited by Jayba

Not trying to be Mr. Smarty pants here -- but usually only Aulonocara species are considered to be part of the Peacock family acigar.gif

Yes you are correct, only species that start with the genus Aulonocara sp. _________ are really considered a peacock. I threw out there a pretty 'Peacock' looking and fish, with a suitable temperament to be housed with Aulonocara species. This could also keep the overall look of a 'Peacock' tank without the hybridization issues. Just throwing out some options for DevonCichlid. Thanks for the clarification.

• 8 months later...

Hey there. I currently run 3 cichlid tanks and would have to say that if you are doing a 90 gallon tank with peacocks you are going to want to do more than 5-6 different species just for the fact that peacocks tend to be aggressive towards similar peacocks. You want to almost over crowd your tank to take down aggression levels and by doing that you are going to want 20 or so different species instead of 5-6 with multiples of each since only one male of each with show the most color.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there. I currently run 3 cichlid tanks and would have to say that if you are doing a 90 gallon tank with peacocks you are going to want to do more than 5-6 different species just for the fact that peacocks tend to be aggressive towards similar peacocks. You want to almost over crowd your tank to take down aggression levels and by doing that you are going to want 20 or so different species instead of 5-6 with multiples of each since only one male of each with show the most color.

It would be a big swirling orgy of of fabulous colors, but the drawback would be that none of the children can say for sure who their Daddy is. Lol. I think it's a bad idea. Unless of course you like culling little bastard fry?! A better idea may be an all male tank. Just

my 2 cents.

• 7 months later...

Hi i am new to this forum/site....... I feel a little under educated when reading alot of what is posted in here but i do have 5 years experiance with peacocks... I have ran a strickly male tank the whole time with great success. I agree with pistolpete and everyone else a show tank with strickly male is the way to go.... Overstocking i what i have found to be the best method for dialing down agression, with that being said you may encounter problematic fish in your selections . Also i have found that introducing only one fish into a community tank can be an issue... I find introducing two or more gave the best success or taking a couple fish out of your tank and putting them in another tank for a couple days with the new fish before putting them back... Also i just purchased two male and four female Lake victorian haps with hope of successfully breeding them.. a couple of the the females r full of eggs at the moment (cross my fingers).... Anyways i am having trouble trying to figure out what species they r.... I think they may be a mwanza gulf of possiably dayglows i will post pics soon hopefully someone can help me....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...