Gold Dust Molly

Sprucegruve

Hey my gold dust mollys just had babies, I took 11 of them out and put them in my 10 gallon for now.

I believe there is more baby's coming, I will transfer them as they are born.

What do I need to do to keep these little guys alive?

Edited by Sprucegruve

Hey my gold dust mollys just had babies, I took 11 of them out and put them in my 10 gallon for now.

I believe there is more baby's coming, I will transfer them as they are born.

What do I need to do to keep these little guys alive?

They're actually pretty easy. Give them a planted tank that's a bit warmer and some ground up flake and they'll do fine!! Mollies like Alberta's water too..

I gave mine fish flakes and algae wafers. When the wafers dissolved a bit, the fry would swim around in it playing lol If you've only found 11, the rest either got eaten or you've got A LOT more coming XD If you can put a sponge or net over the filter that would be best. They love to get sucked up, and I've found some in the filter before. Actually, sinking pellets would work too. They would likely slowly pick at it. They're so easy to care for, so don't worry they'll be okay :) Do they have a golden color to them already? Must make them a bit easier to find...my molly fry had little color and blended in with the gravel lol After awhile I had given up trying to save them all XD

I think alot of them got eaten, but who knows she may still be in labor

Yes I lucked out they are mostly gold, with a little black markings on the belly, very easy to find in the tank

I have a sponge filter on both the filters on my 90 gallon(where their breeding)

And I have sponge filters on my 10 and 15 gallon tanks(where I will keep the babys)

I guess that's all folks, I can't see anymore in my 90.

But I'll post again in the morning and see if any pop up by then.

How many fry do they usually have at a time?,I only ended up with 13-15(hard to count)

But it is a community tank so my rams most likely ate a bunch

Did you find any more kids in the tank? :)

They can have over 50 babies. My Dalmation molly would have about 40-60...she would eat a lot in the process and so would the other fish lol When they give birth in the tank most are eaten, so the numbers don't get too high. After her giving birth in the breeder net, and me saving 40+ fry....the tanks were overrun with them XD I've decided that if they have babies again, I'll just leave them be in the tank...unless my Corydoras ever manage to have babies...I'm saving those! I'd love to see what they look like. Gold with black on their bellies...they sound adorable XD Much more colorful than dalmation molly babies!

Well I found 3 more in the sand, but my rams ate them before I could catch them and get them in a different tank.

I'll let these 15 grow up, but I don't really want to have a ton of mollys,so next time they breed I'm leaving the fry in my tank to get eaten.

lol I bet your rams will be happy with that decision XD There's still a chance a few might survive in the tank, but 1-3 are much easier to deal with than 40+ :)