Diy : Pvc Inline C02 Reactor

platiesman

Hi,

I am looking for someone who know how to do a PVC Inline C02 Reactor.

I've been reading a lot in the internet but all of them don't specifically say where they get their materials as most of them are from the U.S. and i can't really relate to what they are saying.

Is there anyone out there who make this that is available locally in Canada?

for example parts number of this plumbing device which i can buy from Home Depot?

Sorry, i am not a plumber or who knows anything about plumbing =)

Anyone who has experience to share?

You can get the parts at Rona, HD has reduced their plumbing dept. significantly

The Rex Grigg reactor is excellent. I made one for my 20 gallon long and it works perfectly, no bubbles or mist whatsoever and great diffusion of co2. I got all the parts I needed at Rona, jvision is right HD is very hit or miss for pvc parts. I had to get a little creative with how I put it together as they didn't have the exact parts rex suggests but it was pretty easy to figue out how to adapt it.

The Rex Grigg reactor is excellent. I made one for my 20 gallon long and it works perfectly, no bubbles or mist whatsoever and great diffusion of co2. I got all the parts I needed at Rona, jvision is right HD is very hit or miss for pvc parts. I had to get a little creative with how I put it together as they didn't have the exact parts rex suggests but it was pretty easy to figue out how to adapt it.

I also love mine, although I would suggest making the whole thing out of 3 inch or larger materials, and possibly taller, that way if you buy a large tank, you don't have to make another one. Mine is on a 72 gallon and has no trouble keeping up. But my 125 is going to be a problem, especially with an FX5 blasting into the reactor, I may also fill it with bio balls to disperse the input of the FX5 into the reactor.

Its fairly easy...I have no doubt you can put one together...ill put together a part list for you if you want and walk you thru it..

hey, thanks! can you give me a parts list that i can just give to the store and check if they have it there?

Also, if you can share how you did it in layman terms =)

to those of you who made the same as Rex grigg reactor, did you follow the actual sizes in there?

i have a 20 gallon tank and no plan of upgrading as i have limited space at home. what are the sizes you can recommend?

also, did it somehow affect the flow of your canister filter (slower flow) when you attached this kind of inline reactor

at the outtake of your filter? i am asking this because i only have fluval 105 right now and no means of upgrading soon for my 20 gallon tank =)

literally all the reactor does is dump water in the top, mix it up with the CO2, and push it out the bottom. Kind of like a water resivoir, but any larger bubbles of undissolved gas floats up to be recirculated until it;s disolved.

With a bubble count like you will need disolved into a 20 you could make it a bit shorter, but I see little value in loosing a couple of inches.More important is the rise distance out the bottom of the reactor to the outlet height of the hose. The higher this lift, the harder it will be on the canister. You could make it a bit shorter, but I wouldn't take off too much length.

Fluvals are little troopers, clogged media puts more stress on it than this reactor will, just clean the filter often so it doesn't have to work crazy hard.

Go for it, nothing ventured, nothing gained.......

I have a new Red Sea reactor you can buy, if you want to go the safe and it works good enough route.....

Edited by Jayba