Whats Killing My Shrimp?

theokie

Thanks for the suggestions, as for the nitrates the only time I ever detect any is about 2 hours after I dose after that it drops off quickly as the tank is very heavily planted, full glosso carpet, 6 inch flame sword, cabamba background, a few other medium sized foreground plants, I am also rooting a few plant cutting in it right including a willow branch. For Filtration I am running an ehiem 2213 that has an inline diffuser for C02 which is checked in a drop checker with 4dkh solution prepared with distilled water. What ever it is in the tank, the shrimp recover as soon as I move them to the other tank, as I awoke this morning to find the wood shrimp happily filtering away in the other tank.. The tanks that I have used with Flourite and play sand have always been fine, so I am beginning to think it is the dirt layer under the stratum.

How would I go about testing for metals like copper? Though shouldn't this be effecting the amanos and snails as well? as I use the same tape water for water changes on both tanks.

I think I will give it another day and then tear it down to remove the substrate, go with the tried and true flourite or sand.

you could have a BAD iron problem i cant remember the name of bad iron but the API test kit will test for it it is the test that takes 30 mints. there is a copper test kit from API i do not know if it is just for salt water. it kills me to say this but maybe run some CARBON for a week or 2 if they even still sell it for fish tanks have not used it for years lol. the carbon will maybe help with that ever is toxic in your tank.

Thanks for the suggestions, I will be heading into town today to get a test kit for iron and for copper, I know our water does have a higher level of iron, as it discolours the shower curtain and will leave a red ring in the toilet, also talking with the city earlier in the week, our water does have a very high flouride content, though i don't know how that would effect fish.

The Diana Walstad article I found very interesting as that is the soil I used for my base layer, but instead of sand I capped it with the fluval stratum as thats what the tank came with. I'm just still very puzzled as to why any new livestock has such a violent reaction to the tank while the established inhabitants are fine, as if there are any metals in any concentration shouldn't it kill the Amano shrimp and the snails as well?

On a posiitive note the wood shrimp have recovered and are happily filtering away in the other tank. and the Clown Killie is an Pseudepiplatys annulatus very interesting and colourful fish

High co2 and shrimp don't really mix although some will argue...Its a good chance elevated co2 levels are the cause...Amano will do ok in high co2 but other types may be gassed..Each specie have different tollerances...

And if it was iron or copper from your water your shrimp wouldnt survive in either tank...

The only major difference in the two tanks is co2 and miracle grow so it makes more sense to start there..

Miracle grow is usually capped by sand so that may be an issue but im guessing it's the co2...I think if it was the substrate you would see loss in your ottos as well...Excel also can be harmful to more sensitive shrimp species...

Try increasing oxygen levels by surface aggitation or an air stone...you will waste co2 and may have to increase bubble count to keep co2 levels high but you will also add more oxygen into the water which may work...

Did you have the willow branches in there long? IF I remember correctly you can soak most willow

branches to create a Pain killer type of medicine so that could be to strong for the new shrimp .

Just an idea pull the willow cuttings and find the toxicity on your plant cutting .As you may already know

some house plants can be very toxic. Just saying unsure.gif LOL

Edited by Hempster

Did you have the willow branches in there long? IF I remember correctly you can soak most willow

branches to create a Pain killer type of medicine so that could be to strong for the new shrimp .

Just an idea pull the willow cuttings and find the toxicity on your plant cutting .As you may already know

some house plants can be very toxic. Just saying unsure.gif LOL

I'll do that, as i read on a site that a willow branch was helpful in treating green water, though it was a UK website, so our willows and there willows may be different, I'll take it out when I change water today

• 1 year later...

Sorry for bumping the topic. The killer of your shrimp might be water shock, you can use prime, I do it my self no proble

. But the shrimp are very delicate when it comes to water, spike in amonia, nitrates, etc will cause the death of few. Older shrimp are the worst when It comes to adapting to a new tank set up. Why? Because they were already use to the same water for months.

So when you put new shrimps in any tank take your time and place a bit of water from the tank into the bag. LPS should have the same gH, kG and maybe pH, but not the same temperature. water shock is something to watch out for, and if you have a water pump(maybe your tank is to small for one but what ever), put your shrimp(the ones that look weak) in a breeding box or something and put the pump right in front, sometimes a little water flow helps a bit.