Glass On Top Of Aquarium

Tron

I bought a piece of glass from Crystal Glass. The dimensions are 12" x 40" and its 5 mm thick. I've been putting T5 36" 39 Watt on top of the glass. It has been on for about 9 hrs when all of a sudden I heard a crack then a sploosh. My glass cracked and part of it went into my aquarium. Luckily the light didn't go in. Now my question is that has this happened to anyone else? Does the light need to be elevated from the glass to prevent this glass from cracking? Or do I just get a thicker piece of glass ... 7 mm. I suspect the heat and some water splashing on the glass made it crack? Has anyone tried going with Arclylic? Any advice?

Tron

T5s will definitely break the glass - it happens to me every time I forget about that! :s. Pretty much any other light (except MH) will be fine right on glass.

Its the heat from the Bulbs, mixed with the colder water that cracks the glass, you need to keep at least an inch of clearance between them or as suggested you can try acrylic but it scratches really easy which some people dont like.

Also dont forget the thicker the glass the more the light is diffused before it hits the water so if you have coral or plants that need the light just keep that in mind.

Edited by Magma