Guppy Pond

Raven

Looking into moving some of the fry to my grandmas guppy pond. She fills it with her well water ( i think) and we are supposed to go get some floating plants soon. I a week or 2 they all will be big enough to make the move. But i'm wondering if the switch from city to well water will be deadly and what i can do to help them adjust better. In canada i have heard of outdoor guppy pond in Athabasca and Vancouver so i don't see a problem with it over then possible getting a pond heater for over night, are the different from regular heaters? Trying to find more info with no success. Thanks for the help.

I've been looking into pond heaters to be used over night in-case the temps drop too low. I talked to the staff at a LFS in St. Albert and he said they wouldn't have anything till fall, and most of that would be just to prevent it from freezing. I have thought of using Aquarium heaters but i have no idea what i would need watts/gallon wise.... i don't even know how many G the pond is... I'll get on it. Another thought has occurred. Would i feed them differently in the pond?? My grandma hasn't ever had anything in the pond but plants what sort of things would she need to make sure it safe for the fish? Thanks again.

There are a bajillion bugs in outdoor ponds, so feeding isn't necessary. As for heating, you could try a pool heater, but if you wait til the end of the month to add your guppies, you won't need a heater

That's good to hear, since i was going to wait 2 more weeks any way, lol. How long will good temps last before a heater might be needed again?

Once temps start to drop, it's typically pretty slow. Your fish could probably do fine til the end of Sept or later if we have a nice fall.

• 3 weeks later...

6 of the larger fry made the move out to Grandmas pond last week. The others are too small yer and there the 4 new guys from the same mom. The day we went out the pretty ugly and rainy weather wise. do they seemed to adjust just fine. Don't know how they are doing yet, but i'm hoping for the best!

Seen the fry over the week end and they are doing well. Even with ducks visiting the pond they are all still there :D

Edited by Raven

• 3 weeks later...

Sounds cool :D

My Grandma just got back from Scottland, so I'm going to see how they're doing. According to her and some cousins, they're still there and doing well. Going to add 6 more that i've been wanting to add for a while now. Especially since there is 30 or so new ones. I'll let you know how it goes :)

Seen 3 of them out there and they look great. I think one was even looking pudgy like preggers pudgy lol. I didn't even see a male in those 1st 6 but there is defiantly one now. Can't wait to see how these new guys do. :D

Went out and seen them again. Seems there was only 2 older ones now. Though i could of been missing some. The 2 i did seen grouped together with the new younger ones. Started thinking of reasons why i didn't see as many of them. Since looking into the waters when the first of them where released, i haven't seen much of the small water bugs or skeeter larvae. Thought maybe the natural food sources haven't been enough to support them all. So i gave my Grandma some tropical flake food to give them once every day or two to help them out some. If food is the issue. Other then that, there isn't much i can do but see what nature troughs there way. With August starting, I'm starting to wonder when to pull the survivors out. And how to winter them since I've read that adjusting from tank h2o to pond h2o is easier when they're young but pond h20 to tank h20 is a lot harder once they're adults. Suggestions??

• 4 months later...

I had gone out at the end of august/beinging of sept, after that week of colder temperatures. I had found only 1 half dead stuck to the pump, brought him inside grandmas to see if he'd revive, but he was too far gone. Apparently the crows where the biggest problem. Grandma had to go out a few times to shoo them away with her broom. This next season i'll try and make a netting cover to keep them away, as the figurine owl didn't fool them long, they started knocking it into the pond. The week before i had gome out at tried to net them, but with a whole pond to get away in it was immpossible. I'll have to use something alot bigger next time around. The siblings that stayed at my house have frown up, and started to breed like crazy. I haven't been using a heater on their tank so it will be easy for the ones that can move out to the pond this spring/summer, but until then..... Anyone want a Guppie?

• 5 months later...

Warmer weather is a coming, still have a buch of guppies ready to go. New floating plants to be added first, inlcuding some from the tanks to see how it will do out side. Maybe I'll put some Terra Cotta pots in the bottom....