Wood Decor ?

Candy

Hubs put some wood he bought into his new 130g tank and it grew some whitish fimly stuff. We have takne it just to be safe.

Does anyone know what the filmy stuff is?? Is it safe for the tank should we leave it out or can we soak it and put it back in??

Thanks

It could be a fungus of sorts. It happens from time to time on some wood. Some catfish eat it, but I don't think it's harmful - just a bit unsightly.

that is what i call 'new wood goo'. i have yet to see a new piece of wood not get it. my mopani piece in my 20 long still has a few remnants of the goo on the backside, and i set that tank up in December.

i find that wood that has never been underwater is more prone to new wood goo. the mopani i have was originally in a reptile tank and was never submerged.

and Jason is right, it is harmless. some fish will eat it (not just catfish - i've seen mollies, plecos, goldfish, etc eat it), and it will go away eventually.

you can manually remove it if you want, by wiping it off the wood and sucking it up with your gravel vac.

Yes all of my Mopani wood had this goo at one point.

It diddent harm my fish,my mollys and plecos seemed to like to eat it.

If you want to clean it, what I did was,when I did my water change I took a new clean brush and cleaned the wood in my buckets of dirty water.

Good ol' wood goo !! My Adonis Pleco loved the stuff. I agree with Jason it appears to be a fungus of sorts but it does go away if you choose to leave it in the tank. If it is unsightly you could perhaps wash it off and put it back in again. But it does stop once continuously submersed. IMO