Jumping Tiger Barbs?

Burmina

One morning not too long ago, I went to check on our school of eight tiger barbs. Well, low and behold I could only count seven. For the life of me, I couldn't think of what happened! There was no sign of a carcass anywhere.

Later that day, I just happened to glace under the table the tank rests on, and there was the poor little guy long since dead! He must have jumped out of the tank some point at night.

Has anyone else out there had this happen? Are barbs known jumpers? Are they known to spook easily at night or something?

(And yes, there is a lid covering about 90% of the top. The only space is where the filter comes over the rim of the tank. Water quality is all good, and they have ample room. I don't think he was purposefully trying to comming fish-iside or anything).

Thanks all!

Perhaps there is a fin nipper in the same tank?

I had a pair of gold barbs for about four years in an uncovered aquarium. One day - there he is all dry

I blamed the Ameca's, as I had observed them pestering the barbs in the past.

Although, in the end, like Cate said, any number of reasons.

Had that happen to me a long time ago with my simese fighting fish. It was full of carpet (use to have long carpet back in the 80's) put it back in the tank and surprisingly it survived. It did it again another time. Well it didn't survive that time. You'd think it would learn its lesson the first time.