Cyp. Fry Survival And Activity

kdogg

I am trying to spawn cyp and paracyp. right now with zero luck. First paracyp spawn resulted in 0 fry and first cyp spawn resulted in female dying in the net after I finally caught her. I rescued four of the TEN fry she was holding, it seemed as I chaced her she was munching on the fry and killed most of them before she died of stress apparently. I think in both cases I should of allowed the females to hold a week or so longer to allow better development of the fry. With the cyp. I miss calculted spawn time and the paracyp I was just to rammy!

I plan to take a different approach next time but have a few questions has anyone here ever seen the frie soon after release? Do they actively swim in the mid water? Or do they hang around the bottom for a bit before figuring out the whole swimming thing? My hope is to leave the females hold to term and let the releasr the fry and see if I get a better survival rate!

I found in my dealings with Cyps and Paracyps is that they tend not to eat their fry, so I just let them spit - especially if they were the only fish in the tank. Having a good sized floating water sprite will give small fish a place to hide.

With the comp, I don't give the fry much chance. If possible, move the females into a brooding tank to spit when they're ready.