Aquarium Plants

stsetter

Hi there, not sure if this is already a topic or not but I have a few questions about plants. First, I've been told that ANY plant can be put into a planted tank. I'm not sure how credible this person is so I thought I would ask. I have tried putting a maple tree seedling in my tank and it did great (grew, got more leaves, etc.) for about two weeks and then my shrimp started eating the leaves which resulted in me taking it out. I also found that although bamboo is often seen in many LPS tanks, it is a favourite among Ghost Shrimp. I have since replaced the Ghost Shrimp with Amano Shrimp but have yet to try another maple tree. So is there anyone out there that has successfully tried non-traditional aquatic plants?

Non-aquatics can grow in the tank, but their leaves need to be out of the water - often their stems will start to rot, too. If you have an HOB filter, then you can grow just about anything that likes wet roots in there.

Sorry, not trying to be rude just trying to understand, but what makes an aquatic plant able to live under water and a bog plant such as a Sedum not be able to? Is it not true that a plant needs nutrients, water, light and CO2 to survive? Or is there more to it than my simplistic mind cN remember from science class? Thanks

That's like saying all a fish needs is water and food. Different plants are adapted to different ways of life; so, aquatic plants are designed to live in the water (most can also survive out of water, but in very moist areas), and terrestrial plants are designed to live on land (but some can survive in wet climates). The plants do not survive/thrive long term in the wrong environment.

Ok, I follow. So in other words don't put garden plants in my aquarium. Gotcha! Lol! Are there any good ground cover plants for my aquarium that need low to moderate light (SA plants preferred as I am doing a SA dwarf cichlid tank) and can handle soft acidic water?

Pygmy chain sword does well in lower light, but it tends to grow a little taller in lower light.