Bushy-Nosed Pleco Food

425nm

I was wondering if anyone knows what Bushy noses can be fed apart from zuuchini, spinach and peas.

Are there any fruits they'll take once in a while?

I've been told carrots (though my male ignores them).

My wild caught zebra plecos like mango once in awhile.

Also cucumber,zucchini,peas,spinach,

And nls pleco formula is good for day to day.

Anykind of live/frozen food(whiteworms,bloodworms,vinegar worms,ect)

Excellent, I happen to have some fresh mango. Do you know if they could eat blanched broccoli stalk?

I have read of people feeding their BNs just about everything, so if it's in your fridge, give it a shot! :)

Hmm that's a good question.

I'll call my friend in bc that breeds alot of different kinds of plecos and ask.

That'd be awesome :D

I gave him a piece of blanched broccoli stalk and he's already made quite a dent in it.

There're threads on many of the catfish and pleco forums on this topic. Broccoli seems to be a favorite. Of course, zucchini is a staple bc it's cheap. I know several people who use canned beans.

Mango and nectarine are both loved by my BNs, tho so do I, so they dont get it often.

Just a fair warning - stay away from asparagus. Jorg fed some of my L240's with it as a special treat and 3 blew up with gas and died overnight. A few of the others were a little wobbly for a day or two afterwards but they made it.

I'm fairly certain it is the asperic acid in that particular food that caused the problem. It may not cause all fish to blow up with gas but it sure showed that some of the L240's had a very negative response. It wasn't that they found the flavour undesirable either - ate it with gusto and then suffered the consequences later.

I just wanted to put this out there so no one else found out too late that their fish all blew up. You certainly don't

want to be doing unnecessary experiments with new foods on any fish let alone the more expensive ones. It was sure a shocker to me and Jorg.

I'm fairly certain it is the asperic acid in that particular food that caused the problem. It may not cause all fish to blow up with gas but it sure showed that some of the L240's had a very negative response. It wasn't that they found the flavour undesirable either - ate it with gusto and then suffered the consequences later.

I just wanted to put this out there so no one else found out too late that their fish all blew up. You certainly don't

want to be doing unnecessary experiments with new foods on any fish let alone the more expensive ones. It was sure a shocker to me and Jorg.

Aspartic acid is vitamin C. Its unlikely that it was the problem. In humans its cause by Raffinose which is a sugar our digestive tract cannot break down however bacteria in our gut can break down producing gas.

Aspartic acid is vitamin C. Its unlikely that it was the problem. In humans its cause by Raffinose which is a sugar our digestive tract cannot break down however bacteria in our gut can break down producing gas.

I actually meant to say asparagusic acid which is found only in asparagus as far as I could find out. Just a guess on my part about it being the culprit since it is not found in other veggies and since the plecos didn't appear to have a problem with any others including potato, at least 4 types of squashes and the regular zucchinis, green beans, peas, etc.

I should mention that the L-190's and L-52's in the same tank suffered no ill effects just the L-240's reacted negatively to the organically grown asparagus. Three of them were floating belly up with bloated stomachs the next morning and the other half dozen didn't come out for food for a few days.