Danio Breeding

425nm

So for the past four months I have been trying to breed:

Danio nigrofasciatus(a.k.a. The Dwarf Spotted Danio)

http://www.seriously...asciatus&id=210

Danio choprai(a.k.a. The Glowlight Danio)

http://animal-world....wlightDanio.php

(The picture doesn't do them justice)

They are housed in a recirculating system in separate tanks which are bare bottom.

In all honesty they don't have enough space (like 10 gallons per 10 fish) but there's never any ammonia or nitrite.

Temp: 27C (Its high I know, I don't have control over choosing temp it at the moment, working on it)

pH: 7

Salinity: 1300 µS (Most tap water is no higher than 100 µS so its pretty salty).

Hardness: (Don't know off the top of my head, I do believe its softer than tap water though).

Lights are on from 8am to 10pm.

Fish are fed brine shrimp in the morning and the afternoon. They are fed trout chow + spirulina flakes + freeze dried brine shrimp + freeze dried cyclops midafternoon twice a week.

The fish are all older than 6 months and the females do appear to be in breeding condition(ie. filled out with eggs).

The parents of the dwarf danios are still breeding but are not in my possession.

The fish are set up in breeding traps separate from the home tank overnight, then have their water changed in the morning when the lights come on (works perfect for our zebrafish and pearl danios)

Does anyone have anyideas?

Has anyone ever heard of salinity inhibiting breeding in danios or anything like that?

Really need these fish to breed.

Edited by 425nm

My zebra danio are breeding in my planted tank. One thing I feed them, that i have been told is a fish aphrodisiac, is white worms. They also spend a lot of time in the naja grass, this is where I have seen the babies. I plan on eventually getting other danio species once I upgrade the size of my planted tank.

My zebra danio are breeding in my planted tank. One thing I feed them, that i have been told is a fish aphrodisiac, is white worms. They also spend a lot of time in the naja grass, this is where I have seen the babies. I plan on eventually getting other danio species once I upgrade the size of my planted tank.

I have been trying to get them some live food, however this would require me to remove them from the recirculating to a more traditional aquarium. Don't think I can swing live plants either.

We have zebrafish as well and they breed no problem. For the most part anyway, some lines are more stubborn than others.

I turn off my filtration when I feed white worms. It only takes the fish a few minutes and the fish clean them up! Cultures are kept by quite a few members, maybe someone in Edmonton has a starter to sell? They are very easy to raise.

Danios can be ravenous egg eaters. Have you seen any of this behaviour?

The fish are placed in breeding traps and can't get at their eggs(not that they've given any).

@nanmer: Its not a matter of availability. The fish aren't mine, I'm just supposed to be breeding them and they're on a recirculating system with other fish. Possible contamination/parasites are deemed to risky for live food to be fed.