Did Melafix kill my frogs?

bozco

I was treating my 33 gal with melafix because my angels had been fighting and there was some fin damage. Then I found one of my dwarf frogs caught in the filter. At first I thought he'd just snagged his leg and drowned. Then a few days later I found another frog floating at the top of the tank, kind of bloated with this white film coming off all over him (no it wasn't his shedding skin, I know what that looks like). I instantly stopped treating the tank and changed the water. I still have the one frog left and he seems alright. I've had them a little over two years and they've never had any problems, they've been in the big tank since January. Did the melafix do something to hurt them? I know I treated my 10 gal tank with it when they were living in there before.

I would HIGHLY doubt that melafix killed your frogs... It's basically an herbal remedy, concentrations needed to become toxic would require more than a big bottle of melafix to be dumped into the tank (really only is an issue if you're using pure tea-tree oil (same as melafix, just not diluted) from a local health food shop)

I have however seen angels go after frogs during the night... My old (AOD) "Angel of death" (A huge hybrid black superveil + ribbon tail) loved African dwarf legs as a midnight snack...

I haven't dealt a lot with frogs, so I can't really ID diseases in them, but there are a few... A google search might be in order - I know there are some good sites out there.

Andy

I would go with the angel factor.

If the angels are fighting [ mating or male/male dispute][ how old are the angels ??].

The tiny frogs are fair game for tha angels...

I have done some research into Melafix and Primeafix. Good stuff. safe to use. However, it is not a magic cure-all. and in some cases does not relieve the problem in time.

Nice thing - it is not supposed to affect the bio-logical bacteria.[?].

I have a tank[ mixed with cory's, small tetra's, kulu loach's, and other small species ] in with the dwarf frogs [ at the shop].

One thing I have found - they do not like medications. :wacko: I can only concur that they ended up sufficating to death.

I've had the male angel for about two years, got him just before the frogs. He is full grown and has lived with the frogs since I got them, first in the 10 gal and then in the 33. The female angel has been around for a few months. I got her full grown and she has layed once but wouldn't let the male finish fertilizing the eggs, she ate them instead. It used to be that she would beat up on the male, then there was a period of calm and now he is going after her.

I've never noticed a problem with the frogs and the angels, but if its happening while the lights are out then it is possible.

You think I should snag my survivor and put him back in the 10 gal with my raspboras and kuli loaches?

Well thats the last of them. I moved the survivor from the 33 to the 10 two nights ago. I knew smoehting was wrong when I was able to catch him within about two seconds. He didn't even swim away from the net. I moved him in with the little fish and found him dead yesterday. He looked fine, he wasn't bloated, his colour was good, he was just dead.

I really was attached to these frogs. They and my rainbow sharks were really the only aquarium creatures that have really upsetted me with their loss. They were a gift from a very special friend and I don't know where I went wrong. There was no physical damage. The only difference is the melafix, which I will never use with frogs in the tank again.