Flourish Excel Clarification

425nm

So the bottle tells me that it is inorganic carbon. So if I am already running CO2 on my tank already should I use Flourish Iron instead?

Also, does Flourish Iron also contain glutaraldehyde like flourish does?

Edited by 425nm

IMO, you don't need Excel if you're already running CO2. I would use Flourish - the one with a comprehensive trace mix.

You can still use excel or h2o2 for spot treating algae on ur hardscape but like jvision said its not needed as a carbon supply.. You can also use it in premixed fert solutions so no mold issues occur....Seachem iron may contain glut but not very much...I'd have to look on the seachem website for a for sure answer.

Edited by ubr0ke

IMO, you don't need Excel if you're already running CO2. I would use Flourish - the one with a comprehensive trace mix.

Doesn't Edmontons tap water contain most of the needed trace elements?

Perhaps better question is, Which is more important Iron, Trace elements or Potassium?

K is the most important - that's why it's one of the macro nutrients. If you're dosing KNO3 and KH2PO4, then you should be getting enough K. If not, you'll start to see pinholes in older leaves.

After that, Fe seems to be the most needed micro/trace nutrient needed. That being said, I've seen tanks w noticeable deficiencies just dosing Fe - that's why I recommended Flourish. Over dosing trace doesn't seem to have any negative effects, and has better results than limiting sone trace elements.

K is the most important - that's why it's one of the macro nutrients. If you're dosing KNO3 and KH2PO4, then you should be getting enough K. If not, you'll start to see pinholes in older leaves.

After that, Fe seems to be the most needed micro/trace nutrient needed. That being said, I've seen tanks w noticeable deficiencies just dosing Fe - that's why I recommended Flourish. Over dosing trace doesn't seem to have any negative effects, and has better results than limiting sone trace elements.

I shall pick up a potassium supplement soon then. I bought Flourish Iron as my plant's leaves were starting to yellow everywhere but the veins -> sign of iron deficieny yes?

No pinholes yet.

425...what are you dosing right now?....deficiencies can be misleading...

I was dosing Nutrafin: Plant Grow (its crap I know) but I stopped for a month because I was having difficulty with filamentous algae. I just started dosing Flourish: Iron on Tuesday. I also have seachem plant tabs under a few plants.

I am also running compressed CO2 at ~1 bubble/3 seconds.

I have a 5' light ballast running a Life Glo and a Plant Glo for 14hours on and 8 hours off with a two hour break in the middle of the 14 hours.

ok...you need to start dosing nitrates, phosphates, and potassium....your cheapest option is go to All Seasons Garden Center on 10027 81 ave...Ask for 250g of kno3, 250 g of kh2po4 and 250g of trace...

How many gallons is your tank?....Ill give you dosing instructions when i know the size of the tank...

Next cut your light down to 8-10 hours a day...14 is just to much even with a break...

ok...you need to start dosing nitrates, phosphates, and potassium....your cheapest option is go to All Seasons Garden Center on 10027 81 ave...Ask for 250g of kno3, 250 g of kh2po4 and 250g of trace...

How many gallons is your tank?....Ill give you dosing instructions when i know the size of the tank...

Next cut your light down to 8-10 hours a day...14 is just to much even with a break...

Should the fish wate not be providing the nitrates?

Solid ferts? Will I have to find a way of shoving all of this under my gravel?

My tank is a 75 gallon.

Edited by 425nm

if your using pressurized co2...no the fish waste won't be enough...co2 and no dosing is kind of like taking steriods and not eating...

The ferts come dry..almost the same consistency as salt...You just add to the water..kno3 comes mixed in water due to legal reasons..but i figured out the dosing for you already..

for a 75 gallon...

dose as following:

60 – 80 Gallon Aquariums

+/- 30ml KN03 3x a week

+/- 3/16 tsp KH2P04 3x a week

+/- 3/16 tsp Trace 3x a week plus your seachem iron..dose the iron as directed on the bottle.

Excess nutrients will NOT cause algae..We can get to the cause of algae later...

Okay cool. Ferts hav been obtained. Out of curiousity, what is the dosing calculations based on?

Algae is caused by something else?

if your using pressurized co2...no the fish waste won't be enough...co2 and no dosing is kind of like taking steriods and not eating...

The ferts come dry..almost the same consistency as salt...You just add to the water..kno3 comes mixed in water due to legal reasons..but i figured out the dosing for you already..

for a 75 gallon...

dose as following:

60 – 80 Gallon Aquariums

+/- 30ml KN03 3x a week

+/- 3/16 tsp KH2P04 3x a week

+/- 3/16 tsp Trace 3x a week plus your seachem iron..dose the iron as directed on the bottle.

Excess nutrients will NOT cause algae..We can get to the cause of algae later...

Algae is an opportunist, and shows uP when plants are not in top form; so, if you keep your plants fed all the time, they should always outcompete the algae. That is the thought behind EI and MCI.

the dosing amounts are based on the maximum uptake of nutrients by plants...i suggest using ei when first starting out so you know what healthy well fed plants look like..when you get comfortable you can try limiting certain nutrients to see what deficiencies look like..or try different dosing regimes to see what suits your goals...mci, pps pro, pmdd are other dosing regimes you can try..just google or look around this site for more info..

Each dosing regime has its pro's and cons..

ei requires weekly 50% water changes...I forgot to mention that...

Edited by ubr0ke

the dosing amounts are based on the maximum uptake of nutrients by plants...i suggest using ei when first starting out so you know what healthy well fed plants look like..when you get comfortable you can try limiting certain nutrients to see what deficiencies look like..or try different dosing regimes to see what suits your goals...mci, pps pro, pmdd are other dosing regimes you can try..just google or look around this site for more info..

Each dosing regime has its pro's and cons..

ei requires weekly 50% water changes...I forgot to mention that...

Any chance you could point me in the direct of a dosing regime that requires a smaller water change?