Medicated Tank Water

Caprichoso

I have only used meds a couple of times in 16 years so I know it's a weird question......but what is the best way to dispose of medicated tank water? The medication is API General Cure. It contains metronadisole and praziquantil. Last round my spouse just flushed it down the toilet which I was going to do again because I thought it would be bad for my garden plants to put it there. Maybe I could put it on my grass? I just want to dispose of it in the least environmentally damaging way, whatever that may be.

Thanks in advance:)

I would probably pour it down the drain. While the meds won't hurt your plants, they may kill a lot of the microorganisms in your garden or yard.

many fish meds break down rather quickly in water (hence the reason for needing to re-dose most of them every 24 hours or so). i don't think metro and prazi, in the small amounts listed on General Cure (250 mg metro and 75 mg prazi, per tablet) would cause much harm if poured down the drain. earlier this year when i had to use General Cure, the tank water went down the drain.

The Eco station doesn't accept 'commercial biomedical waste' or expired medications, so i don't think they'd take medicated fish tank water.

perhaps call up a pharmacist and ask them what they think?

Edited by BettaFishMommy

Thanks for the responses:). It makes sense that they would break down in the water, maybe I am just being overly cautious. I guess it's not like I'm pouring straight medication down the drain(like they tell you not to do). I think I'll just dump it down the toilet again. Well, off to do a water changesmile.gif