Just How Hardy Are They...

bigbadbrent

Thought i'd share this experience, as i was pretty suprised...

My girlfriend and I woke up sunday morning, she went out to the hallway before i heard her call me. I got up, and walked out to the hallway, and could hear a grinding noise..the noise of filters gone dry..

walked into the storage room, the floor was soaking wet, and the tank was empty. Not a half inch of water. Many dead fish (very upset at this time)...before my girlfriend notices that one my shellies is still breathing. She managed to lay sideways in water just to cover the side of her mouth and gills, and managed to survive.... Got her into a 5 gallon bucket and some water from the tap. I quickly went through the rest of the tank, tearing apart all the rocks looking for any other survivors..No luck, except one Pleco, who managed to survive without any water over him, but crammed into a corner and still moist..

Got him into the 5 gallon, and then moved them to my mom's place...so far, so good...Lost all of my other shellies (3 of them), a mating pair of Julies, more julie fry then i could count (including a few that were getting near adult size) and 2 Comps...They were pretty lucky.

Thought i'd share my story, pretty amazing that I had two survive considering how the tank broke (bottom some how managed to disconnect from the side..would have drained extremely fast)....Felt pretty terrible about the loss of the others, I had some pretty good tank harmony for the last 6 months

Sorry to hear of your loss

Here is some advice on your intake tube drill a small hole about 2" under the water surface and just turn the hole towards the glass so no plecos or snails get sucked into the hole. Then if your filter decided to dump everything on the floor again it will only drain to the hole then it will suck air and stop pumping saves a lot of problems with wet floors and dead fish

That does not sound like fun. Those two fish were sure lucky.

It reminds me of the time the bottom of my 90g started coming apart - I was lucky and I caught it while it was still at the 1 drip every 5 min stage. I didn't know I could drain a tank that fast... I can't image what damage even a 33g would have done as I have a raised sub-floor...