Severum

jeremoose

Hey all, I was just browsing through one of my LFS today and noticed a tank with a couple Severum (pretty beat-up) and a breeding pair of convicts. Naturally the Convicts were beating the snot out of the Severum (all fish were about 3" long) but there was one Severum that was about 1.5-2" that had great looking fins and seemed to be doing a good job of staying out of the Convicts way. Additionally, all the Severum's in the tank were on sale for 5$ each due to the fact that they were getting beat on a little bit.

I jumped on the smaller Severum and I plopped him into my grow-out tank with a couple 1"-2" Firemouths and Convicts. The Severum is easily the largest fish in the tank but I'm not too worried considering their (supposedly) mild disposition. He's incredibly washed out from his traumatic time at the pet shop so I'm just curious if you guys think I should find him his own spot until he gets a little confidence back or that he'll be fine where he is?

Also, any tips on Severum? I just want this poor guy to get his color back, he's incredibly washed out but he's got no visible injuries of any kind.

Thanks and sorry for the wall(s) of text.

I have 4 severums (v. large now, red gold) living in a 90g with fairly agressive peacocks and breeding convicts, all are very happy. They eat pellets, frozen shrimp, blood worms, v. v. easy to care for, and calm as anything, clearly the largest in the tank and the least agressive. I find their temprament much like discus, they come over to see you and watch you. I would leave yours where he is and perhaps consider getting him another of his kind.

good luck,

Nancy

I have 4 severums (v. large now, red gold) living in a 90g with fairly agressive peacocks and breeding convicts, all are very happy. They eat pellets, frozen shrimp, blood worms, v. v. easy to care for, and calm as anything, clearly the largest in the tank and the least agressive. I find their temprament much like discus, they come over to see you and watch you. I would leave yours where he is and perhaps consider getting him another of his kind.

good luck,

Nancy

Possibly go to another of the places in town and see if they have a more robust looking Severum of a similar size? He may perk up just seeing another of his kind fully colored up and full of confidence.

EDIT: Additionally I haven't seen him eat just yet but I only got him yesterday, hopefully he will feed soon. I've tried blood worms, shrimp pellets, some lettuce.. I will try some other items as well.

Edited by jeremoose