Water Quality Question

Hippoherder

Was about to do a water change on a 50 gallon tank but decided to do some water testing first to see what conditions were like and if one was needed. It has been running for a while. It's freshwater with a moderate amount of plants in it and a clean up crew second to none. I do 15-20% water changes every 2-3 weeks. Because some of the previous inhabitants were so messy I decided to start zerocarb in my filters (2 HOB filters that could each handle the tank by themselves).

Anyways, I had 0ppm for amonnia and nitrites. I couldn't locate the nitrate testing kit. I almost never test my water, but isn't 0ppm a bit odd? Or is that as a result of the zerocarb? I figured something should show up, but since I never test, I'm not really sure.

When I do water changes it is generally half RO and half tap treated with prime.

With 0ppm do I even need to bother with a water change this week?

Thanks,

Bill

If the tank is properly cycled and isn't over stocked you shouldn't have an ammonia reading. If a tank without plants the nitrates increase until you do water changes. But plants use nitrates and can use everything naturally provided. That could get you a 0 reading as well.

If you DON'T have a 0 reading for ammonia and nitrite, something is wrong. A properly functioning biofilter will consume all available ammonia and nitrite converting them to nitrate. I don't think a moderately planted tank will consume all nitrates, it would definitely help prolong your need for WCs.

A test most of us over look would be phosphate. For freesh water. API one works best.

If you have phosphates in your tank above what your tap water dose. Do a water. Change.

Phosphate is basically waste in the tank. And something algens require to grow. Get rid of the. Big 3 tests we all get sold. And happy. Fish keeping.

Btw I would drink the water out of my tanks if the price is right

Hmmm, that is interesting...especially when I consider some breeding behavior changes that I can link up to water change (either tank transfer or infrequent/frequent changes).

As luck would have it, one of the fish I got at the auction had ich and I didn't recognize it. So it looks like water changes will be happening quite frequently now - ugg.

With 0ppm do I even need to bother with a water change this week?

There is a school of thought that water changes dilute hormones that fish produce, it is said that, these hormones will stunt their growth.

I can appreciate that. It's nice to understand the reasons and cause/effect of what I am doing though. The website article jewel posts looks really interesting. I'm going to dig into it more when the wee one goes down for a nap.

even if my tests say my number are good i do a water change, its good practice for times you really need it lol