Ei Fertilzing Dosing Questions

Goldy

My question is in regards to KNO3, I have a 90 gal tank so if I take the middle of 60-80 & 100-125 gallons it is approx. 1 tsp for the 90 gal. The solution comes mixed at 1:4 solution so that would be 4 tsp. To get it to millilites the conversion is 1 tsp = 5 ml, so 4 tsp = 20 ml.

So I would need to dose 20ml 3 times a week (is my math correct??)

Also if I dose everything at 1/2 the recommendations could I do a water change every 2 weeks instead of every week.

Thanks

Goldy

Your math is correct.

The reason why the doses are what they are is to OVERFEED the plants in a balance that makes sure the plants have everything they need ALL THE TIME. When plants have a deficiency injust one area, their metabolism slows down and algae has an opportunity to grow. The guidelines are more of a minimum to make sure you get all that you need when you have high light and CO2 - chances are you will have to add more of at least one fert (typically KNO3).

Now because EI feeds an excess of everything, there is the potential for some of the nutrients to build up to lethal (to fish) levels; however, weekly 50% WCs resets your tank so that this build-up is impossible.

If you want to go longer between WCs (which is possible) I recommend following the prescribed method for a month so you know what it "should" look like, then adjust things a bit to make it work for you.

There are other methods that don't call for huge weekly WCs, but they may require test kits or an experienced eye. EI is designed to be super simple - no test kits, no practice, just follow the recipe and tweek as you see fit.

thats about 9ppm of nitrates 3 x a week. You will max out at 55 ppm even with no uptake from plants...which is way below toxicity..I dose double what your going to be dosing...

so just dose the 20 ml and do water changes every second week and ur fine...

co2 levels are really important when dosing ei..if you unsure you have enough, only dose kh2po4 once a week and if you have k2so4, dose that the other 2 days.

How did you figure out that it is 9 ppm of nitrates 3x/week? Is it something to do with the 20ml & the amount of gallons, is there a formula to use?

I have a drop checker with the 4dkh solution (I believe that is what it is if my memory is correct)so the co2 levels should be around the adequate levels. I will be dosing roughly 3/8 tsp for KH2P04, K2S04 & trace 3x/week.

Let me know if I would be on the right track.

Thanks

add 5 tsp of kh2p04 to 900ml of distilled water and 1 ml of excel....dose 30 ml every second day..

k2so4 is better to add dry..it has a low solubility in water..add 2 tsp every second day

trace..12 tsp..into 900 ml of distilled water..add 1 ml of excel..dose 30 ml every second day