New Stand-330 gal.

Majestic_Aquariums

Linear overflows? As in what's referred to as "coast to coast"?

Sounds cool regardless. Will be doing a closed loop for sure, and the cleaner the look in the tank the better, the tank will be visable all 4 sides.

I have to distribute 4500gph (less head loss) off the pump, and one of the concerns I do have is the pump drying out the sump, (90 gal) before more water can return! With the micro-socks in line (will be set up for only 1/2 of the flow to the sump) I would think that could happen.

Keep the suggestions coming Albert!

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Check it out here:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.p...threadid=619976

Since your tank is to be viewable from all sides, this might not be feasable. Another way to do it is to change up your stand and incorporate the entirety of each end panel of your tank with this style of overflow, kinda like how Jim Barry did it.

I'm not exactly sure how a pump would empty a sump. Gravity vs. Pump = flawless victory for Gravity.

Edited by albert_dao

The overflow looks good for sure, Albert. But yeah, the stand was supposed to be viewable on all sides.

I talked to Dennis briefly before about having a large overflow right in the middle of the tank-(tank 30" wide) thought this would work, and can be hidden with liverock. But he suggested staying away from that, as it would be a higher risk of leaking.

I may have to look into viewable 3 sides, and have a cabinet on the one end to access a 24" wide external overflow. This would free up options for return lines as well, was going to have to enclose those in the framework around the tank anyways-and run a line inside the canopy to the other end of the tank.

Keep planning for me! :lol:

Enough said for me Albert! Will modify for an end to house the overflow-3 out of 4 sides is pretty good, and this way, there will be no overflows inside the tank, giving me the full 84" viewing space on the "back", as opposed to 60"

Be willing to be I just spent another $200 though! :grr:

Well, here goes! I am jumping into this Tenecor deal for sure! I will be ordering the 96"X24"X30" instead of the 30"X84" I had originally planned on. I started to look seriously into the math-with the taper on the end columns, the bases would have been 38"-too wide for most doorways.

With a reef, I want the clarity of acrylic, and cannot achieve that easily with glass, being a 30" high tank-starfire is a fortune!

Will have to watch the scratches though.

So, I gained an extra foot in length :bang1: What the Hell...

I think this dimension will fit better for estetics, too.

Albert, what can you do on this? I did stick to the original plan of 2 internal overflows. Just couldn't warm up to the end cabinet design, and only have 3 sides viewable :grr:

• 1 month later...

Well-I backed out of the Tenecor deal...Will cost a few bucks, but it wasn't lining up the right way on this end of things. Theo in Van. busted his @$$ to get the deals done-just couldn't swing it right now-Dec. around the corner and all. Man, I wonder if this thing will ever happen? :grr:

Anyways, back to the drawing board. Now, not that many would believe me after changing my plans so many times, I will order glass-but stretch it to 10'-will make for 375 gal..not starfire though. Have to modify the drawing slightly. Hopefully order the tank in Jan.

I am not a sump professional or anything but you sump design with the overflow to the storm drain incase or power failure is this a good thing? I would think that when the power comes back on the skimmer and the pump would run dry and sit there a gurgle if your extra water goes down the drain. Shouldn't you just have a lower water level or a bigger sump to accomidate it extra water? not to pick holes in your design just a concern B)