New Stand-330 gal.

Majestic_Aquariums

O.K. Looks like we have finally made up our minds which direction to go on our soon to be tank and stand.

So, here it is-330 gal. REEF. B)

(I still like the trout idea, but just don't think it is a feasable thing -to much red tape, and would be hard to keep @ 55 deg.)

It has been a bit of planning for the stand design to say the least, and plan on up-dating as things progress.

Wanting some sort of stone look on it, we thought to use cultured stone. Not finding what we wanted, or a way to apply it in the application needed, we decided to collect or own stone from B.C.

So, after 8 hrs. of cutting, and 2 diamond blades (so far) I have realized one thing-I NEED MORE! :lol::lol:

Slight oversight on my part I guess-kinda hard to estimate how much is needed. I'm thinking 50 sq. ft total, and looks like I will end up with 25.

I will try to get a sketch of what the end result will be, and a couple pics. of the stone so far, but it looks like another trip to Panorama in the works. (I think I will avoid stopping in Kootenay National Park :lol: )

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BTW-I could really use input along the way too-The mechanical end of things is giong to be a huge challenge, and nothing's written in "stone" yet as far as the tnak, etc. So feel free to shout out any suggestions you may have.

I plan on using:

90 gal. sump

4000 GPH pump (I know what you guys are thinking :wacko: I am hoping to make it all happen without having a jucuzzi on my hands)

4- 250 W MH, 4 VHO as well

in sump skimmer

Kalk reactor

U.V. sterilizer

Probably have to add to this yet too-maybe a chiller would be a plan

Just a thought, but is your stone source a 'free' source? If you are paying for it, I'd suggest calling up Burnco's landscape facility at Glenmore and Deerfoot and seeing what they can do for a deal on the quantity you'll require. Just may be worth the price difference in time taken/gas used to get it locally? Also, Blue Grass just south of Airdrie may be able to help out, they have really good people workign there and are really happy to help out with any special requests. I used to work in the landscaping field, and have had very good experiences with both companies.

As well, I have two contacts who may be able to help on receiving a 'better than retail' deal on stone, or know of some additional sources as they both own their own landscape companies.

Unless your rock is free... at which point you really can't beat that price, now can you? ;)

BTW: looks like you've got some really nice stone there... I can appreciate a good rock B)

We sourced out several possibilities. We aren't paying anything, although the price is comparable, if not the same, in the end as what it would be for cutured stone.

Part of the problem is the weight issue. I'm trying to keep the stone 1 1/2" to 2" max with a flat back. That's why I'm cutting it.

Thanks though, it's worth looking into (besides it's a good excuse to go fishing).

I will see what I can get for a "finished look" type of sketch soon, but I'm not much of an artist. Basically, the two ends of the stand will have tapered stone columns on the ends (to 36"-12" of the tank will sit on these) 60" of door space below the tank, with some of the mechanical inside the tapered columns.

The stand is designed to be fully enclosed, and viewable on all 4 sides.

I am hoping to add rockwork to the top as well, (same look only alot smaller pieces) I still can't help but think it would fit better with a great freshwater set-up, but I can't help but WANT a SW.

Burgandy/cherry oak will be the 1st color choice for wood, but that's assuming it goes o.k. with the stone. Part of the reason I wanted to lay it all out was to get an idea of the look (color)

I would guess each column will weigh 400 lbs. min. :mad:

Oh well! I never let the weight factors stop me on building before, why start now?

Can't wait to see the finished product, it sounds like it is going to be something to see.

Slight oversight on my part I guess-kinda hard to estimate how much is needed. I'm thinking 50 sq. ft total, and looks like I will end up with 25

Good reason to go back and throw a line in the water. :thumbs:

Part of the problem is the weight issue. I'm trying to keep the stone 1 1/2" to 2" max with a flat back. That's why I'm cutting it.

Boy, how much weight do you think it will end up being Rob, Hope you don't have to move it to far

I am very interested in how this project turns out, keep us informed please.

Good luck Rob.

Tom

Edited by tc51

Thanks for the complements guys!

In the end, I would have to assume the weight break down will be something like this:

Columns- 800lbs.

rest of stand 800lbs.

Tank, sump 550lbs.

lighting, etc 120lbs.

water 3000lbs.

Liverock 350lbs.

5620lbs. total-hopefully

Some may say it's stupid, but I am setting it up right on the main floor of the house. It will be directly over a beam, so I will add a couple tele-posts.

With any luck, it will be sitting in the same spot for some time to come. I would like the option later down the road to have it moveable however.

However, I could use a bit of assistance in positioning all the pieces!

You can also look into masonry stone. A good friend of mine does rock work on houses, fireplaces ect. and they are fairly light due to being man made. All have flat backs on them and there are even pieces made to go around corners. If interested I can find out where he gets them from and even if its just corner pieces that you want, I'm sure he can find it for you. They aren't very thick because they are used to cover walls already standing.

I assume no matter what rock it is you will have to get them to stick somehow and he might even be able to enlighten you as to the best method.

Just give me a hollar and I'll put you in touch with him

Mathew

Edited by Canadbis

Thanks Canadbis! I looked into cultured stone for an option in the original plan. The biggest problem as far as I can tell is this-(at least the 2 suppliers I checked with)

Being the columns are tapered, although they can come with outside corners, eventually I have to cut the inside pieces to allow for this. Then, you have the look of concrete inside, as opposed to rock. I have seen this done in tapered applications, but have looked closer and wasn't keen on the joints that it left. Being that it is an inside piece, and will be viewed close up, I worried about the end visual.

That would have been the perfect choice, as it would have cost approx. $500 for the stone. That, and the fact they weren't really the colors I wanted. Although, now that I look at the stone laid out, it isn't the color I first pictured either.

The plan for fastening-wire mesh on the 3/4" plywood boxes, a scratch coat of mortar, and then typical brick laying fashion, and point the mortar joints as I go up.

(there will be a ledger at the bottom for the weight support-to my knowledge, this isn't required for cultured stone.

This will take quite some time to fit together-I brought back approx. 1500 stones, and have cut into 2 on 85% of them. I still only have 1/2 of what I need. :tongue:

Actually looking @ the magazine I got from Northland Const., there are some very nice examples of tapered columns. When discussing it with the woman there, she told me it would be very difficult to achieve the look I wanted with the cultured stone, in the style I was looking for. It might not have hurt to get a second opinion.

The guy @ Winsor plywood told me I would have to compound mitre all outside pieces!

That, and being cheap, I thought it was a good idea to find some in B.C.

I think the look will be o.k. and good thing it is a "labor of love" or it would have been worthwhile to look into it closer.

Oh well, live and learn. I guess it will be original stonework, anyway! Now I just have to find those masonry tools...