Advice Before Buying A Used Eheim

Fisher

I have 1 Eheim pro II running and it is all right but I still prefer the Rena's -- much better value for the money. I'm not a big fan of the Fluvals I have 4 FX5's here and am very unhappy with their performance. I will never buy a filter again that requires modification's to do it's job properly.

I have 1 Eheim pro II running and it is all right but I still prefer the Rena's -- much better value for the money.

Ah, now we know the rest of the story Jorg. Even though Eheims are crap, you have 2 classics and you have 1 Eheim pro running and it's all right.lol.gif Eheim reliability

I've been wondering if there's a cannister out there that sports an integrated heater in the water circuit (outside the tank).So when I spied a stand-a-lone Rena heater on the shelf that integrates into a Rena cannister intake, I was impressed.

Thanks for everyone's 2¢ so far.

I was originally hoping to learn if the Eheim Classsics had any chronic mechanical problems I should be aware of. Admittedly, I've never run a cannister. The notion scares me. In a millwright's world, a seal failure can empty a tank, destroy a pump and make a royal mess. If any one brand had a chronic problem with seals, I'd be hearing a unified message stating just that. So far, no deal breakers.

It seems common for cannister owners, MTS or not, to have run different cannisters, sometimes, concurrently. Why? Price, spec, better features, reliability, it was free, phase of the moon, etc and anon... Some gravitate to a particular brand, but not always.

This thread, now, reads like any other "buyers either love 'em or hate 'em" review. You can love 'em or hate 'em - it doesn't matter to me. Eheim fans repeatedly say that the Classic is feature poor and reliability rich. Reluctant owners say they will replace them eventually which means their Eheim is doing the job. People who have opted for another brand bought a brand plagued by the same mixed reviews.

Your general advise to run it before buying it makes sense. That advise ratifies what some people have said about Eheim classics - they're not fancy and they run. They have issues. Evidently, Eheim fans (and reluctant Eheim owners) have opted to work with those issues - and others have opted to work with the issues of another brand.

I do understand the value of standardization and I understand the challenge it presents - especially when the other brand keeps pace with the brand I might develope a greater appreciation for over time. If I had the pesos laying around, that wouldn't be an issue (notwithstanding the times when my preferred brand doesn't offer the spec I truly need).

I like to be informed before buying because I'm inclined to commit and standardize; working with a widget's limitations and possibilities. Until I find a money tree that grows in rural Alberta, I'm content to make mods if it means I can delay an expense.

Because anything I buy new ends up used anyways, I don't mind buying used from someone else either. Low investment = low expectation and minimal loss if I decide to unload it.

I am hoping to learn if the Eheim Classsics have any chronic mechanical problems I should be aware of before buying one used -or- even a common watch-out-for that an ignorant buyer like me should be aware of. thanx.

Edited by Fisher

May as well share my experience as well. For me I have four Eheim classics running for three years and some newer Fluval's on my 90g tanks. I started out with only classics but had an issue with a cracked connection (one of the double shut-offs on the intake) after cleaning a tank and had to crazy glue it for a fix until I could drive to Edmonton to get parts. Now I run an Eheim and a Fluval brand (305/405) as backup on two of my tanks. Fluval parts are way more readily available. I can even get some here in Ponoka if I am in a bind.

As far as performance I find the classics great. Maintenance wise the hoses are starting to get brittle and I will probably start to switch them out after a few years.

The crack came from over tightening it. Had a bit of a drip at O-ring on connector and ...Oops. After it happened I went to Big Als in Edmonton and bought an extra set of connectors and extra hose and have never had to use them. Like I said though the outlet hose on my oldest canister is getting rather brittle and I will probably change it out soon. (4 years ish)

For media I run a mish mash of stuff. Mostly aquaclear or fluval biomedia and pre-filter stuff since I can get it in town or Red deer - whatever is cheapest while I'm there. The only thing I use from eheim is the blue sponges since they fit to the sides of canister. rarely have to buy any though since I squeeze out the old ones and re-use. Floss I jam in a bunch of generic to fill the top.

The crack came from over tightening it. Had a bit of a drip at O-ring on connector and ...Oops. After it happened I went to Big Als in Edmonton and bought an extra set of connectors and extra hose and have never had to use them. Like I said though the outlet hose on my oldest canister is getting rather brittle and I will probably change it out soon. (4 years ish)

Yup. You don't want it to leak or let go. It's plastic and... toink! A contingency plan is wise; an idle contingency plan is experience.

4yrs is pretty good service for plastic tubing. I haven't ever left it alone that long, constantly rearranging this or that and having to trim the ends as a result - air line anyways.

For media I run a mish mash of stuff. Mostly aquaclear or fluval biomedia and pre-filter stuff since I can get it in town or Red deer - whatever is cheapest while I'm there. The only thing I use from eheim is the blue sponges since they fit to the sides of canister. rarely have to buy any though since I squeeze out the old ones and re-use. Floss I jam in a bunch of generic to fill the top.

Good to hear. Thanks a bunch!

Edited by Fisher

Ive never ran anything other then an eheim classic...The only issue I have had was I dropped the impeller shaft. It broke into 2 pieces.. I put it back in and the filter still ran perfect but made a little noise...Iven since replaced and the filter is back to doing what they do best...I highly recommend eheims not because I think its the best filter out there but because its reliable and quiet...from one millwright to another haha...

Edited by ubr0ke

Ive never ran anything other then an eheim classic...The only issue I have had was I dropped the impeller shaft. It broke into 2 pieces.. I put it back in and the filter still ran perfect but made a little noise...Iven since replaced and the filter is back to doing what they do best...I highly recommend eheims not because I think its the best filter out there but because its reliable and quiet...from one millwright to another haha...

So ufiXt what ubr0ke ;) There's good learning in that.

I can say I have overtightened a hydraulic fitting and ruined a hose - then used the wrong dies to crimp a new one. Yup, I turned the pump on and poink! 30gpm through a 5/8" line... 10 seconds later, coffee break involved cat litter that day :grr:

Anyhew, I've talked with (some) people who were unhappy with Eheim but I've been unable (or they've been reluctant) to identify a root cause when something went wrong. One person (outside of this thread) talked about shearing off a connector, blamed it on craftsmanship and boycotted the manufacturer :eh: (because that person didn't want to fess up to using a pair of vice-grips on plastic, trying to keep a fitting from leaking on the carpet). The manufacturer suffers so this particular person can save face. How unremarkably backwards is that?

I do understand losing confidence when faulty parts eek through QC and fail right out of the box. But that appears to be the exception that all brands deal with. And of those exeptions, not all are defects in... :shifty: manufacturing.

So thanks for being steadfast ubr0ke, and as unbiased as possible. BTW, thanks for your contribution to planted tank questions. (I'll be in touch)

Edited by Fisher

• 2 weeks later...

My thanks to all who shared both feelings and facts on said topic.

Yesterday I bought a used 2213.

Admittedly, after looking at it, I just paid for it and said, "Thank you." I didn't even plug it in first (what a sap eh?)

Brought it home, gutted and cleaned what I could, reassembled and ran H2O through it.

I'll likely need new hose on the discharge end because I reckon it's cut too short for my tank.

Otherwise, it's a fine specimen.

Thanks for bringing me this far AquaClear!

Edited by Fisher

I tried my first canister seven years ago when I bought a stand and tank that came with an Eheim 2217. Nice and quiet and reliable. I bought a couple more new ones for a 180 gallon tank that could not handle hang-on-back filters.

Only negative was that they were tough to prime after cleaning. I sold them when I sold that tank and am only using AClear on my present tanks.

• 4 months later...

i have 2 Eheim 2217 on my 150g with 11 Frontosa Mpimbwe in it. Noy babies but 5-8" Wild caught so they put out quite a bit of waste. With weekly water changes and quarterly filter cleaning (never both at the same time) my tank is crystal clear. Once you get the hang of removing, cleaning and priming them it is very easy to maintain. As far as canister filters go, i think the 2217 is a great product.

I hate having to take the hoses apart to keep them clean

I wonder if that's a problem exclusive only to green hose and not the blue stuff.

Makes me want to use a solid PVC pipe instead.

Good point. If you can't see the crud building up then it's easier to ignore.