Males With Ovipositers

Sierra

Alright you pros out there....so males with ovipositers ...it happens? (news to me...)

This is my first plakat (...oh no 2 in 2 days lol uh oh...) it's a halfmoon, maybe you guys saw the pictures of it. The copper dragon Mko had for sale.

Anyway thought it was male...it definitely has a ovipositer though...or something...

So how do I tell if it's a boy or a girl!?

I am going to try seeing if it will build a nest, but besides that I need some tips here.

Beard...?

Long ventral fins?

I am sure it is a male...but I'm not positive.

How/will this affect its ability to breed?

What could cause this?

Edited by Sierra

I'll leave this to the expert regarding male ovipositors...fishclubgirl, at least in Bettas!

Are you trying to say something about the Mr. fishclubgirl's ovipositor?? If it's the fish that's in the pics still on the forum, I'd be 99 percent sure that's a boy. If he lays eggs, then I'm wrong. His longer ventrals, lack of stomach(lady bettas are a bit "rounder") are what I based my decision on. Granted I did once try to breed a father and son(didn't go well). Generally I don't know of a species where same sex couples produce fry(unless by artificial means) so male/ female is the best for breeding. As for bubblenests, lady bettas will also make nests and assist in net building in the breeding tank.("No no honey, that bubble is all wrong... Look at how I made mine"). I also bred some giants and she had her own nest and took care of her half of the fry. Liberated girl that one. Anyhow hope this helps!!

Yes that does help, thank you. The picture is very similar to the one I bought yes. Have you heard of this happening?? Internet information seems mixed on what it is..

I've seen the girls help, but never initiate their own nest, but it wouldn't surprise me. Thanks :)

No it definitely is something. Internet says it is an ovipositer or extension of the anus :boxed: ... was hoping someone actually knows!?

New to me too, never even heard of it till now.