Attention Kat

Doc_Polit

Good Heavens!! My Apologies!!

Your fellow, no doubt was in his glory having the entire ten gallon to himself!!!

BUT,...,bettas hate change of any kind,...,transport, new home, new container, new food, new (as in different, not fresh) water,......, and so I think you are likely dealing with a fairly stressed and uncomfortable betta now.

He has to deal with company and he is outnumbered four to one as well.

I am not surprised that he is staying 'out of the way' and 'pacing', and when you turn the light off, he probably gets a little more brave, thinking that he might not be seen if he comes to the front. (Personally, I have never known betta to like lights much, but in the 10 gallon he had lots of room to get away from it, so he was fine.)

I guess you could try seperating him from the other fish by putting in a divider. Maybe when he realises that "they" are on the other side of a barrier, he will relax.

Otherwise, you might try taking him out of the tank for a few days to see what this does to change his behavior. That would be another 'change' though, and he might need a few days to recover from that, and them a few days to relax due to no other fish being in his environmnet anymore, as well. Please keep me in the loop!

Kat

Just a quick update....

I came home today to a Betta stricken with Ich. Although I hadn't noticed any unusual behavior in the tank before, after observing for several minutes, I noticed the tankmates (1 in particular) nipping his tail fin.

Just a little stressful, I would guess. :guns:

The fin nippers made a hasty return to Petland, and I came home with a bottle of Maracide. It's gonna be a fun week. :wacko: