Bristlenose Pleco Kicked Out Some Eggs

Guppygirl

I have a male brislenose that kicked out 15 eggs. I wouldn't have noticed them except I was doing a water change and the eggs started to get siphoned up. Caught them in a net. I would like to hatch them-right now they are in a plastic breeding container with a airstone-I don't have an egg tumbler. How long will they take to hatch? They are bright orange.

My male just had 60 fry last month but only about 6 have survived. They stopped eating and then started to die-I guess that the strongest survive. Lucky for me they breed often.

I am so glad that I have fishy supplies for all occasions. Wish me luck.

I have a few males that always kick out their eggs. I just do te same as you're doing. If I don't have an air pump handy, I just put the breeder net in front of the filter output so the eggs get tumbled.

Update: Eggs are still bright orange. I also gathered some bronze cory eggs from the same tank and they are with the BN eggs-the size difference is quite large. Can anyone tell me how longe it take for the eggs to hatch. I know that cory eggs hatch in 3-5 days depending on temp but what about BN?

:D :thumbs: :thumbs: The BN eggs hatched. Yippee!!!! :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :) They look like little orange hover crafts with very short rudders. They are not moving very much as their egg sacs are huge. Will keep fanning them with my turkey baster.

• 2 weeks later...

For most BN it only takes a male and female. However, some are picky. I once had a wild caught male who had 5 females to choose from and wouldn't breed w any of them; but, when I added a female that was almost as large as he was, he started spawning w her as well as one of the smaller ones.

The fry are growing nicely and are eating zuchinni. :thumbs:

To breed them get a nice cave with a fairly narrow opening big enough for the male to guard. I used a terra cota flower pot base with a hole bashed out and sanded. My male seems to like it. Then you condtion your male and female(s) with brine shrimp and blood worm and lots of zuchinni. The female will become gravid with eggs and she will eventually go to the cave the male picks and they lay their eggs, she then swims off and the male takes over egg and fry care until they use up their egg sacs and then the fry leave.

Some BN can be picky like Jvision said. He has breed quite a few plecos. Mine have only breed a few times and I am still learning to keep the fry alive.