Triops Info Please

Sprucegruve

hey im wondering if anyone keeps any kind of triops,and if you do keep them, what do you keep them with?

i have been doing some research and these have caught my interest.

there is over 15 different kinds of triops,im looking for peoples experience with almost any kind.

i have done alot of different reading in books and on the internet,and i know a good amount about these guys but i would like to hear if anyone has any random facts or anything about them

im either going to buy,eni-Kabuteo ebi triops Canciformis(red from japan),orTriops Austrailensis(green from Australia)or possibly Triops cancriformis(grows to 4.5 in)

im not interested in the kids starter kits they sell in stores(Triops longicaudatus 2.5 inch)like sea monkeys,or sea puggles

oh and im not sure which section to post this in(these are inverts)

thanks in advance

steve

Hi! we tried to grow the "Kids" kits, and had some moderate successes, and faced a few harsh realities... Water temp during changes uber important, as is keeping the aquarium very clean (some died) Also, no matter how big these get, never put them in with a betta....Yah, um, that went well......I traumatized an 8 year old...when the betta ripped the triops apart in about 30 seconds.

I had a really difficult time finding any other Triops here in Canada...

Good Luck and have fun with them! They are truly fun to watch!

One of my friends gave me some last may and I put them in a pickle jar and forgot about them. Over the xmas break, I realised they're still alive and she gave me instructions on them too. To breed, they need air and some food source(who knew??). So I did add some air and hope to get a good colony going. And yes, they would make a delicious snack for a betta.....

I'm glad I didn't have an apple snail in there as it wouldn't have lasted 6 months without air. Can you imagine the smell??

you can run a filter and airstone with triops,just make sure you have a sponge over the filter intake,or use a sponge filter.

And make sure to hatch the triops in a tank with no filtration,once they get big they can go in a tank with airstones and filters

now that that is on the table..apple snails could technically go with the red(Japanese)or green(Australian) because of the heat requirements of the snails.

but would a 4.5 inch triop kill a apple snail? or even worse kill a bunch of them?

here some pretty good info.......most of it.......they say apple snails and triops are safe but.......

http://mytriops.com/

check out this you tube video

http://www.youtube.c...e&v=JIQS_JHmsus

if that doesent work go on youtube and search

Mystery snail eating triops...

(thanks fisher,he told me about the video)

Edited by Sprucegruve

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

hmm i dont know where in calgary they sell them.

there is one lady in edmonton that sells them she could mail it to you.

or what i am in the process of doing is ordering from ebay,if you want i can order you one extra from ebay and mail it to you.