Community Tank Seems To Have A Nightly Predator! ?

Tigs

Hello, I've got a planted 90 Gallon community tank and I'm having what seems to be an overnight issue. Fish showing up the next morning with fins ripped and the occasional dead fish (rare).

In said tank are

6 Black veil tail angels (all show normal signs of fin munching as they are always fighting a bit back & forth over the females)

1 red tail shark

2 algae eaters

20 red phantom tetras

2 emperor tetras

4 bleeding hearts

7 congo tetras

3 bumblebee catfish

2 cory's

1 mini pleco (like 3 inches)

10? red claw macro shrimp.

While the loading may seem high, the tank has been running at these levels for quite some time (years). My first thoughts were that it would be the red claw macro shrimp, however, I've got the same shrimp in with my blue veil tail angels and they dont even look at them twice anymore, all the very long finnage is perfect.

I've observed the tank closely for hours at a time and have not noticed any unusual behavior, other than the red tail shark chasing other fish about but never what seems like an attack. Research on the web seems to say thats the norm for them, but they do not physically munch other fish <shrug>

Suggestions or opinions on this ?

I'm debating moving the shark and algae eaters as a first move.

thanks,

Antonio (Tigs)

What kind of algae eaters are they? If they're Chinese algae eaters, then that's where I put my money. As they grow, they get increasingly aggressive.

(null)

What kind of algae eaters are they? If they're Chinese algae eaters, then that's where I put my money. As they grow, they get increasingly aggressive.

(null)

I believe they are actually, they constantly fight with the red tail shark (3x their size) but seem docile during daytime hours.

Nighttime I'm thinking you may be right ;)

thanks,

Antonio

PS come to think of it, all dmg to the fish would come from a top down 'attack'. Thus top of the tail, finnage etc, no dmg showing on the bottom side.

Edited by Tigs

• 1 month later...

Is they have a dimond pattern they'd be chinese. Fin damage seem to match how they attack. And the eat slim coats, which weakens their immune systems and can lead to death.