Filter Media From Frogs Safe To Start Cycle For Fish?

blink

So, I've been pondering this one for a few days as I slog through cycling one tank and get ready to cycle another: Can I use the filter media from my frog tank to start the cycle in my fish tank?

I got this idea from reading about people swapping media between their fish tanks to jump start bacterial growth so I searched around and found nothing that helped my case. The frog tank has been up and running for about a year and everyone is healthy and happy. Water tests seem to indicate everything is good in there and as far as I can tell the frogs don't secrete any poison.

Are there any other questions I should be asking myself or would you folks suggest it's worth a try?

I think you should be fine. There are very few pathogens that will transfer between such different animals, and that's assuming there are pathogens to begin with. Nitrifying bacteria in a frog tank are nitrifying bacteria in a fish tank :). So I'd say go for it.

(null)

I would say just don't overdue it. My boyfriend had frogs before ... and they seemed to produce far more foul smells than any fish I ever had. Yuck. Just my thoughts.

I would say just don't overdue it. My boyfriend had frogs before ... and they seemed to produce far more foul smells than any fish I ever had. Yuck. Just my thoughts.

Thanks for the heads up but I've had the frogs up for a year and I'm pleased (and proud) to say that I've never had any foul odors coming from their tank. I know my fiancee's fire belly toads can get pretty funky if the water changes are even slightly lacking though.

As far as the cycle, so far so good... my 12g Edge is set up with the standard HOB into which I put some of the foam from the frogs.

Day 1 and everything is at ideal or safe levels according to my ammonia gauge and tetra test strips.

Water is still a little cloudy but that'll work itself out pretty quick.