Bloating Betta?

BettaLove1

Hey everyone.

I have a betta health question for you guys. I have a cute little veil tail betta who has had some bloating issues this week. I'm going to say its a food related bloat and not dropsy because it went away for a day and his scales aren't "pineconing" at all. The first morning I noticed I didn't feed him for 24 hours and it went away completely. The next night I gave him a little food that he gobbled down but he's bloated right up again today, slightly worse that before. I didn't give him a full feeding yesterday either.

He's not showing any discomfort, is wiggling around the tank when I go up to it and I'm sure he'd eat if I gave him the opportunity. He hasn't shown this issue before in the 4-5 months I've had him.

Does anyone have any ideas as to why this is happening and what I can do to prevent it in the future?

Thanks!

Well, I'd ask what the problem is if he's not showing any discomfort.

Bettas, when full, should show a little bulge.

this guy is pretty full and i'd stop feeding him... but nothing to worry about:

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/222575_f520.jpg

Now, this guy... that's bloated:

http://i12.photobuck...h/sickbetta.jpg

What are you feeding him? If it's pellets, they tend to expand after a while... perhaps try soaking them before feeding him.

Edit: this is a good example: http://www.bettatalk.com/food.htm

Edited by geebs

I was mainly curious as to why this is happening because I've just never seen him look like this before and his feelings haven't changed; I suppose out of curiousity mainly. He does get pellets and the occasional frozen bloodworm treat, so I'll be sure to soak the pellets from now on. I've been feeding him less and yet his big belly is staying the same so I found that odd.

Thanks for the links and the pictures; definitely nice to have that as a reference :) . As of now I'm not too worried as he isn't gigantic like the bloated one in the picture. He's still being a happy fellow as well.

I appreciate your advice, thanks again!

(and yep, he's a he :) )

Well, I think I've figured out why he has a big belly. He looks like he's constantly overfull, even with me backing off his feedings a bit. Today, I noticed that there were some little sand pebbles in his floating log which seemed a bit strange. They were too big to float up there I'm thinking, so I'm pondering as to whether he's brought them from the bottom of the tank and spit them out in there. I changed his water out and tried to get those pebbles out of his log but I missed one apparently. I filled the tank back up, put his log in which he immediately went to and there it was....he gobbled down a little piece of rock sitting in the log. He's only been in this tank a few weeks and it has a sand base which his last tank didn't have.

So, I think I figured out the mystery of the piggy betta. I hope that he'll be okay after eating that...