Help! Pictus Catfish And South American Puffers

Jester

I have just finished cycling a 55 gallon long tank and I am looking to stock it up but need some advice regarding the fish i already own and the ones I want. I am switching 3 peppered cories, 2 glass catfish and one giant danio (whos seems to be a really big bully) from my 20 gallon((which im getting rid of)) to the new on but ive been wanting pictus catfish for a very long time. Some people tell me if i have enough tank pace that they can pick a territory and have enough plants that they are fine with other fish but others say there is no way they can live peacfully in a community tank no matter what the size. I also want some south american puffer fish since they are the only fresh water puffers who school together, arent agressive and very hardy. also I dont know if you can find south american puffers in edmonton does anybody know where i can get some. if not i'd love pea puffers but i have the exact same questions about them as i do the pictus. Any feeback would be really appreciated

Edited by Jester

Hmmmm well not sure of the other fish but I do know the giant danios will become bullies if kept by themselves

I forgot to post i have 6 normal danios aswell but i used them to cycle both tanks and i dont think I want to keep any of my danios. he bullies the little danios too so im assuming if i was to keep him i'd need more giants ones not just normal ones or he is just a meany at heart lol

Lol could be, had a bristlenose pleco that bullied my guppy girls, but yes has to be giant as well, I was told they like to school in groups of 4+ and they'll bug each other instead of other fish

The name giant danio is misleading. Zebra danios which is likely what you have are Danio rerio, however Giant danios are Dario aequipinnatus. Different genus, a closely related but different none the less. Most fish won't shoal with other species (not always true, or would prefer their own species), corrydora catfish are a good example, all those different coloured and patterned corries are actually different species. Corries only want to school with corries of the same species.

The pictus would very likely eat the danios once they can fit the danios in their mouth. The corries will be fine as they have poison barbs that will discourage the pictus. The glass cats would probably be fine, the activity level of the pictus might stress them out. The pictus will also take up a pretty good chunk of the space in your tank, so you'll be limiting the number of other fish you can keep.

This site is a good benchmark (its not the say all and end all):

http://aqadvisor.com/

Pufferfish, even the south americans, are a wild card. They're likely at the least to nip fins and I wouldn't keep it with any small fish. Also keep in minf you'll have to feed them snails to keep their beaks from over growing.

South American puffers are fairly docile when it comes to puffers. i had sa puffers and fed mainly with snails and even with that, i still did once or twice a year beak trimming. Make sure you research that and be comfortable with it. Not hard...just need steady hands and nerve of steel...lol.

Well I decided to do a little trial and error this morning, I picked up a puffer and 4 pictus.... I watched them at the store for quite some time and picked out what I thought seemed the most docile. So far my puffer fish just plays with my bubble wall riding it up and down and my pictus stick to the left front side of the tank. every species pretty much avoids eachother at this point in time so here is hoping !

Also jack I use to have panda, peppered, copper and julii corys together and they schooled perfectly

its a mature female dwarf puffer, i searched everywhere and could not find the SA Puffer, over half of the places i went to had no clue what that was and took me to the salt water section. I've decided to keep my 20 gallon and if things turn bad i'll turn it into a puffer tank because they are just too cute.