Red Spotted Severum Care

Mokos

Hey everyone just wondering if the red spotted is harder to care for than just a regular gold or green severum. I've asked big Al's and the guy there said that their touchier than discus, just because their line bred and have a weaker immune system to parasites. But I'm not to sure if he was talking about super reds or just spotted reds. Also riverfront has them labeled as wild red spotted severum which contradicts what the guy at big ALS told me about being line bred in tanks. Any information on their care would be greatly appreciated.

They ARE line-bred so if a place has Red Spotted Severum that are wild, that would be a real anomaly. They are similar to Electric Blue Jack Dempsey's in that they're extremely fragile due to the nature of line-breeding but I doubt they'd be as demanding with regards to water quality as Discus, especially if we're comparing them to wild Discus.

I have 4 large red spotted that i have had for a few years, I don't find them difficult at all, keep your tank super clean but they are great community fish. I also have a gold and they all get along, they live in a community tank but it is a 110 g. I saw some wonderful small ones at Riverfront the other day at a great price.

Nancy

Hey thanks for your input helps me decide what to do. I have 3 golds right now there only 2 inches at best. But I really like the coloring of the reds. I do 2 water changes a week to keep everything tidy for them and my rams. Do you by chance remember how much the spotted reds were at riverfront? I might have to convince my wife that I really need them. Lol

Thanks

Jeff

can't remember $ but at the time I thot they were v. inexpensive, plus if you wait until Saturday at Riverfront it is 2 for 1. They were not the red speckled but called ruby red but were only abt the size of a loonie so were not showing a lot of colour, some where but they are probably scooped by now as this was about a week ago when I saw them. I bought a beautiful spotted red a few months back at Francos that was about 3 inches and paid $50 so they are expensive but in a large tank they grow out really quickly.

good luck

Nancy