Eco-Complete Mixing Colours

Meg

Hey there, first time posting, and kind of a silly question. I have a bag of black CaribSea eco-complete substrate in my 29 gallon planted aquarium (more like starting/trying to plant) and I think it needs to be a bit deeper, has anyone here mixed the black with the reddish colour? Was thinking of doing that instead of buying another bag of black. A picture would be nice! Otherwise I'll just go buy some and hope it looks alright.

Edit: Another question, I'm going to start using dry ferts and I want to buy from aquariumfertilizer.com, however I'm confused as to which ones I would need to maintain the plants in my tank? Could I go with the Macro Mircro Nutrient Mix?

Edited by Meg

You can mix 'em up without any problems. As long as they are the same sized they will mix well together. If you mix say sand and eco complete, the ecocomplete eventually rises to the top

You will need both micro and macro nutrients. They can be bought in Edmonton at any hydroponics store. At all seasons garden center I picked up the stuff once. For pretty darn cheap.

You can mix 'em up without any problems. As long as they are the same sized they will mix well together. If you mix say sand and eco complete, the ecocomplete eventually rises to the top

You will need both micro and macro nutrients. They can be bought in Edmonton at any hydroponics store. At all seasons garden center I picked up the stuff once. For pretty darn cheap.

Thanks for the reply! I think I worded my question wrong, I was more wondering if the two colours mixed together will look alright visually (looking for opinion), I do understand that they will mix fine together otherwise.

How do I tell which ones are micro and which ones are macro? How do I figure out which ones I need? There are about 12 to chose from on the site I mentioned. The Macro Micro Nutrient Mix 1 lb contains 1 part each of Potassium Nitrate, Potassium Sulfate, Magnesium Sulfate, Plantex CSM+B. What is a hydrophonics store? I actually live in St.Albert not Edmonton, moved here last August, don't know my way around Edmonton very well. I was recommended aquariumfertilizer.com from another forum, it seems to have great reviews and it might just be easier for me to order from them.

I have only mixed black with white or with playsand, and both look great. I have used crushed garnet that looked great, and it is a kind of dark wine color w. some darker spots.

As for dry ferts, I like to keep them separate. Check out the pinned thread on Estimative Index in the Planted Tank forum. I think you could probably skip K2SO4. I was doing quite well just dosing KNO3, KH2PO4 and a trace mix.

I have only mixed black with white or with playsand, and both look great. I have used crushed garnet that looked great, and it is a kind of dark wine color w. some darker spots.

As for dry ferts, I like to keep them separate. Check out the pinned thread on Estimative Index in the Planted Tank forum. I think you could probably skip K2SO4. I was doing quite well just dosing KNO3, KH2PO4 and a trace mix.

Ok thanks for the reply, I looked up the Estimative Index and it seems pretty straight forward. I just need to get my Co2 working properly and then I will start dosing with ferts. Oh and is it possible to just use flourish excel instead of Co2? I have T5HO lighting, I can give specifics if needed.

Use Excel to replace the need for purchasing expensive co2 regulator and tank. Save even more $$$ and buy Metricide. What I've done. I've done the yeast thing but the swings which cannot be prevented just caused problems.

Go the Excel or Metricide route.

For the mixing...if you really wanted all black just throw the red @ the bottom...no one will see it but perhaps snails if you have.

Regarding the ferts...just watch...don't want to have an algae outbreak. Old hands at doing this won't have problems but newer members to the game might. just a kind fyi. :)

Edited by ckmullin

Use Excel to replace the need for purchasing expensive co2 regulator and tank. Save even more $$$ and buy Metricide. What I've done. I've done the yeast thing but the swings which cannot be prevented just caused problems.

Go the Excel or Metricide route.

For the mixing...if you really wanted all black just throw the red @ the bottom...no one will see it but perhaps snails if you have.

Regarding the ferts...just watch...don't want to have an algae outbreak. Old hands at doing this won't have problems but newer members to the game might. just a kind fyi. :)

Thank-you for the tips!