Low Maintenance High-Light Plants?

The_Little_One

2x39watts over a 75g tank isn't high light, thats around 1w/gal

You should be fine growing plants like crypts, java fern, vals, anubias, swords, any low/med light plant.

Why do you think ferts will hurt your livestock?

Interesting... according to the lighting chart in this forum I've got high-lighting. There is too much conflicting info out there... From what I can tell it's super bright and I think it's roasting nearly everything - and there was a big algae outbreak two days ago as well, so that also leads me to think all the more that it's high-light.

I've heard bad things about ferts and inverts - and I'd like to keep things as natural as possible; no additives, chemicals, etc.

The watts per gallon rule doesn't apply to t5ho lighting. The chart was created using a par meter which is a device that measures useable light.

As for nutrients, I can assure you that they will not hurt your lifestock but I can understand if thats not the path you want to go on. Your best bet if you want to keep things as low maintenance as possible is to remove one bulb. Light drives demand for co2 and for nutrients. The less light you have the less you need of the latter.

Do you think the canopy will stork work safely with only one bulb running?

Thanks for the advice!

Do you think the canopy will stork work safely with only one bulb running?

Thanks for the advice!

Yes it will be fine, no safety issues at all. Just centre the remaining bulb over the tank. Another option would be to remove the reflector. That would cut the light quite a bit. Or you could put a window screen over top of the tank. That also cuts the light down quite a bit. You have many options on lowering light. Any of which will help you achieve your goal of low maintenance.

Edited by ubr0ke

I have a planted shrimp tank like most people who have shrimp. I dose flourish excel when I remember and it doesnt hurt the shrimp one bit. I also dose in my main tank that has angels, plecos, apistos, rams and tetras plus TONs of mts, and a round 6 apple snails. Doesn't hurt them one bit either.