New Cichlid Tank

Mike1962

The ACE auction (check out their forum under Sponsors) usually has a good selection of peacocks for great prices. Other hobbyists is another great source. Big Al's probably has the biggest selection for LFS in Edmonton, but if Nature's Corner still has some, they'll probably have the best price. Aquarium Central probably has some, and if they do their prices would also be great.

The ACE auction (check out their forum under Sponsors) usually has a good selection of peacocks for great prices. Other hobbyists is another great source. Big Al's probably has the biggest selection for LFS in Edmonton, but if Nature's Corner still has some, they'll probably have the best price. Aquarium Central probably has some, and if they do their prices would also be great.

I can vouch for Big Al's selection, I was just there the other day. They have some GORGEOUS Peacocks in there, I wanted to leave with some myself but just have no room.

Hey Mike, you have around a 60 gallon? We have a Malawi Peacock display tank. What we have is the following. Red top Lwanda is a must, New Yellow Regal (baenschi), Lemon Jake, German Red, Eureka red, Sunburst, Dragons Blood (growing out in smaller tank for now), Bi-color 500, Taiwan reef, Blue regal (Cobue), Tramitichromus Intermedius (not a peacock, 5 growing out in separate tank, will add 1 nice male to display tank), Neon Blue Chiwindi, Sulfur head, Flametail. Most are around 3 inches at this time. What I found best if you are patient is purchase 3-5 juvies of each species you want from local breeders, let them grow and keep 1 nice male. Sell off the rest. This will save you a ton of money. Any extras you could hand pick from Big Als (great selection, fish 3"> showing color can be pricey), Aquarium Central decent prices, Fair Deal has great fish as well. Like I said there are a couple people I know that may be able to help you out if you are looking for juvies. I got juvies of whatever I could and handpicked the rest. We still have a couple of some species left over. If you want I could get you the guys info to help you out. We paid $15-$50 for fish showing color from the LFS in Edmonton. $2-$5 for juvies. 60 gallon, some may disagree but you should be fine with 15 different peacocks. We have virtually no aggression in our tank. Peacocks have a great disposition, and look amazing as they mature as well.

All the best,

Hal

Edited by halwake

Thanks for the input Hal.

I have found everything that I am looking for except for a show

quality baenschi. I did get fish from everyone you mentioned above.

Fairdeal is bringing me 2 to the auction. I am a little unpatient so as

soon as the 70 gallon was ready to go I slowly stocked it.

Looking great...should be done in 2-3 weeks.

Cheers....Mike