Need Help As To Why A Few Fish Died

Okotoks

I have a 33 gallon planted tank with 2 swordtails, 2 dwarf flame gourami, 2 endlers and 5 neon tetras, 2 otocinclus, as well as an uncountable amount of cherry red shrimp.

When I came home yesterday all 5 neons were dead on top of the glossostigma carpet. They must have been dead for a couple hours, because the shrimp were having a feast on their remains. The only change I made to the tank in the last few months was adding 4 Valisneria plants on Saturday morning. I know of neon tetra disease but these 5 were all bright and active, showing no signs at all yesterday morning before leaving for work. I do dose ferts, but I go really light on dosing so as not to injure the shrimp or Ottos's, using about 1 cap of flourish excel every 2nd week.. I am using a Marineland c-160 canister filter with no carbon, only bio balls and polisher pads. Tank temp is at 25 degrees and Ph is 6.9. If anyone has any clues as to what may have killed just the neons please offer any help.

Also the gouramis are gentle and don't even bother my shrimplets at all.

yeah, by adding the vals, you may have released ammonia from the gravel? testing for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate will give us a better idea. how are the rest of the fish faring? Are any of them sticking to the top of the water, breathing heavy? Does the water stink?